Cow marble

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify this marble for me it is signed on the bottom thank you very much and happy holidays
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482628746.610101.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482628758.516135.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hi Cheech!

That type of marble is called a sulphide. The figure is made from fire clay so that it won't get destroyed by the hot glass. They were hand-made in Germany and maybe other places in the 1800s originally but yours is a contemporary one hand-made by a well known marble maker named Jim Davis. He passed away in 2007 but many of his marbles live on. Contemporary marbles are my weak area, so I can't tell you much as far as value, but assuming this one is large-ish (1.5-2") and in good shape, I would think at least $50, maybe a lot more if this was an early one or rare one. I saw a couple of them on Block's auction that sold for $55 each.

Good find!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cheech!

That type of marble is called a sulphide. The figure is made from fire clay so that it won't get destroyed by the hot glass. They were hand-made in Germany and maybe other places in the 1800s originally but yours is a contemporary one hand-made by a well known marble maker named Jim Davis. He passed away in 2007 but many of his marbles live on. Contemporary marbles are my weak area, so I can't tell you much as far as value, but assuming this one is large-ish (1.5-2") and in good shape, I would think at least $50, maybe a lot more if this was an early one or rare one. I saw a couple of them on Block's auction that sold for $55 each.

Good find!

Thank you very much for the information

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread