ID Please + How To Determine if Old?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509069487.755634.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509069502.847635.jpg

Hi all,

I’m new to this particular section and was hoping someone could help. I found this marble in a nearby creek that contains Native American artifacts. This was sitting on the top of a gravel bar and I just wanted to know if it could be ID’d, and whether or not it’s old.

I’d love to start learning how to determine those questions on my own, and am hoping someone could help.

Thanks all!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of them, I think they are about 50 years old, but I am not an expert. I had some as a kid like that, and I'm still under 100 years old!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! That’s amazing you can just look at that and figure out what it could possibly be. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for marbles for now on.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Icewing is right, it's a cateye marble, fairly modern. Yours is an older Japanese cateye from the 60s or 70s most likely. Billions of them were made. Determining the age of a marble comes with an inconceivable amount of studying marbles to the point that you can identify the maker, specific factory, and timeframe of most any random marble that comes across your path. It takes years and no matter how good you get at it, you'll still be wrong occasionally. This is one of the easier ones though, I'm sure of the ID on it.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really interesting. This forum is full of such intelligent people in the hobby. Happy to be a part of it. Thanks for helping to ID it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread