why I need to pay better attention...

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Over the weekend I decided to cull my solid/game marbles and clearies in hopes of maybe finding some missed Alley's in the game marbles and some clearies with swirls that I had missed. I wore a very bright headlight when I did this and to my utter astonishment I discovered I had some mica's. I was surprised and pleased. Then in my clearies I found a sulphide. I think. I don't really like sulphides so I know nothing about them. I would not willingly buy one because I find them creepy. But there hiding is my clearies is what can best be described as 'a bubbly clearie with "something inside." The something inside looks like a small flower bud. I can't get a descent picture of it to save my life but i'll keep trying because I wan't to know what it is. It's driving me nuts!!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Sometimes light does change a marble. Micas and sulphides are old handmade marbles. If you can get pics, that would help, but if the sulphide is full of bubbles and 5/8" or smaller, I'd say it's not a sulphide. Sulphides are hard to miss because they are very big. Usually over an inch, sometimes two inches. They don't have bubbles other than just the random one or two. Sometimes a piece of oven brick gets through the nozzle and into the glass of a marble and looks sort of like a sulphide. Micas are usually larger too, but not as large as sulphides. They also have pontil marks and are usually not exactly round. Fried marbles are sometimes mistaken for micas. It was common back in the 60s and 70s to make crackle marbles or fried marbles. Here is a pic I found online of some. Post pics!
9k=

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread