do kids even play marbles these days?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 4 year old grandson ask me what my jar of marbles were. I will take him to the park and show him.

I rather suspect kids don't play any games outdoors these days. We even played indoors on the carpet using a string as a ring. But dirt was more fun.
remember my mom made me a marble bag out of old blue jeans. I must have been pretty good because I still have two mason jars full of my marbles.

Lots of guys just put them in their pockets. I remember my friend won pretty big at recess at school and when he went back to class when he was in the hallway, his pocket split and the marbles spilled out down his leg. So funny to watch him scramble for his marbles.

we always played for keeps. So I guess we learned gambling early in life.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost 40 and don't remember ever playing with marbles. I remember they were around, and I think all we did was use them in sling shots lol

I do love talking with my sons about how I would search for bottles in the ditches because we were getting 10 cents a pop!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I don't think so, but somehow Vacor and Mega are still in business and making or selling millions of marbles. I haven't seen kids playing marbles in probably close to 30 years and I was one of them!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so. Occasionally I see a hole at a school yard that could be used for marbles but I never see them playing.
I'm 45 and we did play marbles. Found one and then built up a whole bag from my winnings.

We used to call it "Burner, snap, shot" and thanks to this Victorian buckle find, I learned what it was originally called.....

P1100165.JPG

"Knuckle Down" is the name for burner, snap, shot.

I'm sure there's probably an app for virtual marbles that they play on their tablets nowadays. :BangHead:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I played marbles as a kid, of course there was no such thing as video games then, you got only 3 tv stations, 4 if you had a UHF antenna. Enjoyed playing from time I was 5 or 6 till I discovered girls (12 or 13).

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you of a certain age range, I think you played marbles. Not sure what the cut off would be?

My oldest will be 49 next year and he never played with them.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 64 and played marbles. I started out by taking an old leather bag of marbles my dad had proceeded to lose them all. Took me a while to win some back as I got better. Dad's marbles were from the late 30's and I wonder how many gem marbles of his I lost. Gary

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to add, I lost all my marbles years ago!! :tongue3:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only thing most kids know about marbles today is when grandama lost them they put her in a nursing home....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope,nowadays if it doesn't have a screen or a power button kids have no idea what an object is

TideSweeper

Feb 5, 2013
Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
ML Nox 600
THANKS Willie
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I played a few times as a kid in the 70's.
When my Great Grandfather passed away, I found an old bag of marbles in a box of his comic books.
Three decades later....introduced the game to my Son who was I think 5 at the time.
That bag is still around here somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions