I know jack about marbles

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this old marble a couple years ago in front of what used to be an old store building. It has a flat spot which make me think its an older handmade one. Can any of you smart fellas ID it?

20181116_193440.jpg

20181116_194930.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hello Icewing!

That is a machine made marble from around the 1940s. It's a Peltier rainbo made in Ottowa, Illinois. Might have gotten the flat spot from being in a house fire or something like that. ALways cool when you find an old marble!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Icewing!

That is a machine made marble from around the 1940s. It's a Peltier rainbo made in Ottowa, Illinois. Might have gotten the flat spot from being in a house fire or something like that. ALways cool when you find an old marble!

I dug it up while metal detecting near the steps of what used to be an old store building so I'm about 99% sure it wasn't in a fire.
If it's not handmade I'd say it's a manufacturing defect because it just looks like it was made that way.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Definitely not handmade, so it may be made that way. Many marbles left the factories out of round, with wrinkles and cold rolls, flat spots, etc... When you make half a million marbles a day, you can't catch all the bad ones as they roll out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread