Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I found this marble on the train tracks near a crossing. It's a little under an inch across. It's super crude, has a lot of deep clefts in the glass. Is this even a toy marble, or is it something else?

Thanks for your help!

NJ

DSCF7770.JPG

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's an industrial marble. Industrial marbles were, may still be, a way of shipping glass by railcar. Glass is melted and made into these marbles on machines as fast as possible, usually somewhere around 3/4" to an inch, with zero quality control (hence the crude look). It could have contaminates, bad quality glass, bubbles, wrinkles and creases. They were made by the millions and dumped into rail cars and shipped to factories where they make fiberglass and other things. Collectors often refer to them as railroad marbles. Cool find, I have some but have not found one along the tracks yet.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an industrial marble. Industrial marbles were, may still be, a way of shipping glass by railcar. Glass is melted and made into these marbles on machines as fast as possible, usually somewhere around 3/4" to an inch, with zero quality control (hence the crude look). It could have contaminates, bad quality glass, bubbles, wrinkles and creases. They were made by the millions and dumped into rail cars and shipped to factories where they make fiberglass and other things. Collectors often refer to them as railroad marbles. Cool find, I have some but have not found one along the tracks yet.

That is awesome, my first railroad marble, haha! I was wondering if it was made to be melted down again, I had a hunch that it wasn't a toy or finished product of any sort.

You're the man, cheese! You've always got an answer for my marble questions. Thanks yet again!

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well, now I know why I found clear marbles in a rail yard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread