Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are fast. I just posted them on the Todays finds forum.
I found these two marbles which I believe are both 19th century. I can't take credit for digging the swirly one. A mole dug it up. It was just laying there in his little dirt pile. The other one was in the hole with the 1904 dime. When I saw it in the hole I thought it was a musket ball at first. But I would take a marble like this over a musket ball any day.
marbles 1.jpg marbles 2.jpg

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is what your colored one is called - Nice finds!!!!

INDIAN SWIRLS

Indian Swirls typically possess an opaque black base. However, some are translucent (so-called Maglites, since a powerful flashlight is required to make light pass through them), and these will have an amethyst, dark green, red, amber, or blue base. On the surface will be stretched bands of color; some go from pontil to pontil while others are discontinuous and are often referred to as "end of day." A variety of colors may occur; yellow and white are most common, followed by red, blue, green, orange, and lavender. Oxblood is found only extremely rarely.

The colored bands commonly occur in panels. There are usually two panels, though individual panels are frequently found, while three-paneled examples are more scarce. At other times the bands will be more or less random and on occasion cover nearly all of the marble's surface. These latter examples are called 360 degree Indian Swirls and are highly prized.

On some Paneled Indians there will be a set of white or colored strands under the surface. The panels are usually edged with white or yellow strands on the surface. These are sometimes known as Submarine Indians.

Banded Indian Swirls are similar to Paneled Indian Swirls, except that they exhibit multiple single colored bands that are typically edged on both sides by another color, usually white.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is what your colored one is called - Nice finds!!!!

INDIAN SWIRLS

Indian Swirls typically possess an opaque black base. However, some are translucent (so-called Maglites, since a powerful flashlight is required to make light pass through them), and these will have an amethyst, dark green, red, amber, or blue base. On the surface will be stretched bands of color; some go from pontil to pontil while others are discontinuous and are often referred to as "end of day." A variety of colors may occur; yellow and white are most common, followed by red, blue, green, orange, and lavender. Oxblood is found only extremely rarely.

The colored bands commonly occur in panels. There are usually two panels, though individual panels are frequently found, while three-paneled examples are more scarce. At other times the bands will be more or less random and on occasion cover nearly all of the marble's surface. These latter examples are called 360 degree Indian Swirls and are highly prized.

On some Paneled Indians there will be a set of white or colored strands under the surface. The panels are usually edged with white or yellow strands on the surface. These are sometimes known as Submarine Indians.

Banded Indian Swirls are similar to Paneled Indian Swirls, except that they exhibit multiple single colored bands that are typically edged on both sides by another color, usually white.
Thanks. There are definitely pontil marks at the north and south pole. Do you have a time frame on these?

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A website said 1850 to early 1900's - sorry it wasn't a 360, those go for some big bucks!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yes, the colorful glass one is a German handmade marble called an Indian. They are worth a bit but this one does have condition issues. It still has nice color and would bring a few bucks. I was looking through my photos for a pic of one and all I see is one I have in this group of other German handmade marbles. The other marble is a glazed porcelain marble, worth 5-10 bucks. Nice finds, hope you find more there!

IMG-3147.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the colorful glass one is a German handmade marble called an Indian. They are worth a bit but this one does have condition issues. It still has nice color and would bring a few bucks. I was looking through my photos for a pic of one and all I see is one I have in this group of other German handmade marbles. The other marble is a glazed porcelain marble, worth 5-10 bucks. Nice finds, hope you find more there!

IMG-3147.jpg

Thanks Cheese. I have made 3 trips to this farm house yard and have found 3 marbles so far, two of them while digging a hole chasing a signal from my metal detector. I can only imagine how many more marbles are in this yard. Do have a date range on these two?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice marbles, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread