Saw a marble in the desert, then another, and another.....

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out on a short afternoon hike the day before yesterday and bent down to pick up a tiny rose quartz crystal, when I noticed a marble tucked between two small rocks. I gently removed these rocks so I could grab the marble a little easier, and noticed that there was another marble just peeking out of the dirt that was under one of the rocks. As I unearthed this second ball of glass, a third started to become exposed. At this time I decided to remove the rest of the rocks from the immediate area and began carefully excavating a small pit. All in all, I ended up with a total of 8 marbles from the hole. Posting a group pic, and some close ups of a few of them. Lavender colored one appears to be opaque with a swirl. The rest are fairly easy to assess.
Cheese? I'm lookin at you brother. Any chance you can ID all 8? What the hell am I saying?! Of course you can!
Thank you all in advance for any information at all. As always, It's greatly appreciated. IMG_20201226_223904025.jpg IMG_20201226_223925990.jpg IMG_20201226_223946752.jpg IMG_20201226_224006560.jpg IMG_20201226_224053438.jpg IMG_20201226_224102112.jpg

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bright green/dark brown colored one suffered a devastating attack shot at one time or another, resulting in a fairly sizable chunk of glass chipping off. I'm not sure if this is the correct assessment, but it looks like the chip occurred some time before these were retired, as the damaged area has been smoothed out and is almost completely without any remaining edges or deep depressions. Does this mean it was purposely smoothed down to allow for it's continued use? If yes, would this have been done out of necessity, i.e. nearest retailer at a far enough distance to make shopping trips a rarety, or no money to purchase a replacement? Or would it be more common for an injured marble to be mended and returned to full active duty due to certain sentimental attachments? (I apologize if I'm asking too much. I'm just extremely curious about these sorts of things lmao.)

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The purple damaged one looks like an old Alley marble from the 30s. Beat up or not, kids kept playing with them. Who knows what happened in it's past near century of existence. The others are newer (1960s+) asian imported cateyes. That must have been fun to find!

OP
OP
P

PinchedDreamer

Feb 11, 2017
Clark County Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheese, as always, I thank you for your help and expertise. You are literally the only person I know of that knows anything about marbles besides how to play the game, (or how to lose them, lol.)... and you are correct! Finding 8 in one spot is far more exhilarating than the Ol' One N Done method that I've grown accustomed to. Lol. I keep telling myself that I need to go back to that spot with a little garden shovel, and maybe a sifter, to make sure that there aren't additional marbles buried deeper, or possibly outside the tiny area I limited my excavation to...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread