White Marble

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! It's my first time using the forum for a while, so I am glad to be back :hello:

I found this white, glassy, spherical object about a year and a half ago, and I believe it is a marble. I am mostly into coins and rocks and minerals, so I don't really know too much about marbles, but I would love to learn! I found another marble with multiple colors that I believe is much older, but that is for another day. Today, I am just wondering if anyone might know something about this white marble I found.

I found it on a hiking trail in Lakewood, Colorado and today I finally rinsed it of to take a closer look at it. It has a glassy finish on it. At first, it seems completely opaque. However, there is one spot that appears a little darker than the rest. I thought this may be a sign that something more interesting was going on, so I decided to hold it up to a strong light to view the inside of the marble. I was surprised to see that there was a lot of "banding."

I wasn't exactly sure what things one looks for when identifying marbles, but I took note of a few things:

Diameter (measured with digital calipers): about 0.545 inches.

Weight: the marble read back and forth between 3.43 grams and 3.44 grams on my scale (but most of the time it was 3.44 grams).

Also, it does not appear to react under UV light, in case that helps.

Here are some pictures of this marble:

I put a ruler (using the inches side) next to the marble in some pictures to help show scale.

whitemarbleone.jpg
whitemarbletwo.jpg
whitemarblethree.jpg
whitemarblefour.jpg
whitemarblefive.jpg
whitemarblesix.jpg
whitemarbleseven.jpg

Here are some images showing the internal features of the marble! There is one side with a lot of banding. On the sides of that banding, you can see the banding stop and then become rather dull and lacking banding. On the other side of the marble there seems to be no banding at all. Hopefully you can see these features in the pictures below as I took them at different orientations of the marble. Please note that the marble itself is not greenish when a light is shown through it. The light I used in these pictures is housed in green plastic, which creates a green hue on the marble. When I use a different light, the marble is completely white.

IMG_2601.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2605.jpg

I know that's a lot of pictures. I wasn't sure what would be helpful or not! Hopefully somebody knows something about this marble!

Thank you,

Soren

OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's a game marble, mostly used in chinese checkers.

Oh! That makes sense why it's a little smaller and lighter than other marbles. That is very interesting, thank you very much. Is there any way to tell how old it is?

OP
OP
S

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really. They've been made basically the same for over half a century.

Thank you for that great information. It's really interesting! I would have to guess that it is modern then, based on its condition and the fact that they are still being produced. I wonder how it found its way onto a hiking trail!

Do you know what it is made of? I was thinking glass, but the banded pattern looks like agate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread