Not a marble, but kissing cousins

stephaniekadman

May 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have begun to art glass and vintage glassware. When low and behold, my marble lingo was very useful for me! There are "End of Day or slag" tableware piece made just like the marbles, yet molded. Small world and all... I bought all but the blue clown. View attachment 1919206 View attachment 1919203 View attachment 1919204 View attachment 1919205 View attachment 1919207 20210412_013048.jpg 20210412_013057.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I see the red/white slag candy dish but that's all that came through. Akro made lots of dishware as well as marbles. Some other glass companies made the slag dishes but not marbles.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"end of the day" was usually in reference to glass blowing, where as slag glass was originally made from steel slag that was refined and used in press moulds. The slag glass gave birth to this marbled glass style, as the slag had naturally marbled look which became popular. So the end of the day thing came from the scraps that the gaffer would have either trimmed off his glass pieces or what was left on the pipe after removing the piece(or pieces that broke during the process). These scraps were then made into a piece as not to waste. These pieces here are really neither. They do still get called slag glass still because of the similarity to the original slag glass. What you have is a more intentional design.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread