Double and triple ingots

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Here are some error marbles I have found.

Pic 1. Double ingots

Pic 2. Triple ingots

These marble errors were made at the factory and discarded in their dumps. The "ingot" is the blob of hot glass that drops onto the forming screws. A double ingot occurs when two ingots land in the same spot on the screws and melt together on the way down. You can usually tell by the crease that shows, but sometimes they are hot enough to blend into a perfect sphere and are harder to spot.

The triple ingots are rarer and I have found some that look like they may even be quad ingots(?)

These kinds of marbles are rather rare because they were almost always thrown out and were only available to the dump diggers. Some of them were more than likely collected by some of the folks that worked at the different factories. There are some collectors of these kinds of marbles. I love them myself and have even purchased some from online auctions.

HH

Attachments

• dblingots.JPG
    dblingots.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 802
  • trplingots.JPG
    trplingots.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 663

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
yup kewl...sometimes they hook up and look like little barbells...ill see if i can find some around here and take a pic.....

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool, I never saw those before!!! :thumbsup:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
WOW!!! i found one of the doubles in a flower pot of my father in laws. he used marbles for drainage when the pots didnt have holes in them. got quite a few old ones but only one with a slight crease around it and a pontil mark. ill see if i can dig it up and post a pic.

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
:icon_study:
One of the 'best' things about this forum is that we learn something almost every day from yall.....not to mention that this is a beautiful lesson to look at....
Thanks for sharing....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions