Well, I can honestly say MARYLAND sucks

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
you need to be creative and do lots or research about your area.. i spend hours :coffee2:on the computer and at the libary doing reaseach :icon_study: .. i try to find out every scrap of info i can about an area then send my boyfriend out to hunt it we have had some pretty good days that way but also you can search hours about a site then find nothing its all in the game.

ask everyone , reasearch, search the net,
and always keep your eye open for any 2 square foot of ground that looks diggable :o

good luck

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Just a suggestion, but look for any construction in Silver Spring or close as you can towards the DC line and Takoma park, that entire area was COVERED with Confederate soldiers who beseiged Washington DC's northern most forts for several days.

Floodcitykid

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the soil in Maryland allows metallic objects to float deeper in the ground over time, and bet if time could be sped up you may actually hear that sucking sound :laughing9:
I simply noticed in my yard that even at 6-8 inches, I am only pulling coins from 1980-90s. Got to go deep here, hence the construction sites..

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I think you need to do more research for your self, its true people will give you tips but that is about it ,,

i spend hours and hours on the puter and in the library looking for sites. so if i spend 10 hours looking for A site i don't plan on giving it away, :dontknow: and some times i do all that and the site doesn't have anything, :icon_scratch:

there was a thread i posted about how do you find your sites, lots of people replied and told what kind of research they did to find there sites . check it out it will give you ideas.

like any hobby you get back what you put in it. :read2:

savinghist

Greenie
Feb 2, 2010
maryland dosn't suck, look in the woods for old home sites. talk to the old timer's they will let you hunt if your nice to them.you can contact me at my web site carrollcountyartifacts.com. look me up ill go hunting with you. robby

DomCal

Jun 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Ace 250
savinghist said:
maryland dosn't suck, look in the woods for old home sites. talk to the old timer's they will let you hunt if your nice to them.you can contact me at my web site carrollcountyartifacts.com. look me up ill go hunting with you. robby

Hey, I joined your site. I am looking for someone to hunt with. I am in Eldersburg.

kevin hoffman

Sep 7, 2012
cambridge md
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres a tip for people in md , try fossil hunting in calvert co. breezy point park or brownies beach is open to the public , and you will find sharks teeth for sure !! Im new to this ,live on the eastern shore and would appreciate a tip if anyone feels generous ! thanks in advance

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you have access to a boat, The islands between Kent Island and Smith Island have had coins washup from shipwrecks. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 592

Brendoodl

Feb 22, 2008
I am game if you want to go out for a hunt. I agree the hardest part in Maryland is finding spots that are allowed to be hunted. I can help with research and and info if you let me go with you to Kent. Thanks
[email protected]

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately a lot of Thers' are not quick to help other detectorist. They closely guard information and sites like gold. I have met some who gladly exchange ideas and info with you, but most successfull ones seem to be closed mouthed. I have offered to trade hunts with others but no one who is finding good finds wants another detectorist in the same zip code as their honey holes. I have only been back at detecting for 5 years and I have helped at least 6 others during that time. Sorry about the negativity here but this is a sore subject with me.

Ed D.

I agree. I am a member of several forums with different interests and MDers are not very helpful with locations. Some sites have people who talk, and trade for the love of the hobby. Even had people send me things free and even refused shipping cost just to help a fellow member out. Maybe I can get a few older fellows to will me there secret spots to carry on the search after they are gone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I agree Maryland sucks. I have lived here all of my 41 years and it seems everyday more open land is being sucked up to build McMansions, or to build regional sports complexes that are off limits to detectorists. I have three main hobbies...detecting, fishing, and shooting sports. The way things are in this state anymore I may be down to just one in the future.

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
I've been MD'ing in Maryland / Delaware for 30 years , especially the Eastern Shore. I've spent countless hours in libraries, courthouses, collecting maps, books, newspaper clippings, talking with "oldtimers" and researching and researching. Years ago it paid off, but today, most of the "old producing" or "newly discovered" sites are gone because of developing, becoming State property, or private ownership . . . and mostly by "yuppies" who do not want "their privacy invaded" or afraid you'll find something and take it from them. It's rare indeed to find a "hot spot" with access allowed that will make it worth your time. I used to willingly take friends and "newbies" to my spots. I also lost a lot of those spots because of these "friends" going back without me, or THEM not having permission. Lessons learned. As much as I would like to hook-up with others to detect on the Eastern Shore for comradery, I hesitate to do so for those reasons anymore. Best of luck in your endevors in Maryland, hope you find that pot of gold. SJA :-)

New to metal detecting and loving the hobby. Thanks for the info.....

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetic Delta 4000 and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know A A county is ridiculous. When we moved to this neighborhood 3 years ago I've watched farms and woods dissappear because of development left and right. Watched a house that was built around 1840 demolished. Maryland blows but A A county really takes the cake. Maybe I'll try PG county where I grew up....

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DomCal and Savinghist, I am also in the Eldersburg area and would enjoy going sometime. Still rather new to the hobby and the best spots I have been able to hunt have been up near Pittsburgh PA around some of my wife's family

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions