Planned Druid Hill Park Hunt

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all just signed up yesterday. Anyone interested in Detecting in Druid Hill Park between January and the end of March 2009? Any Saturday or Sunday except the 2ND Sunday of the month weather and ground condition permitting. City permits cost $25.00 and are good from January til the end of December and I need to get certified and also apply for a permit .You will need to become certified by a metal detecting club before a permit will be issued. The certification means you know the proper way to fill the hole. I'd also like to meet in a public place to introduce ourselves to each other and discuss reseach. I live in Baltimore County, Dundalk. Merry Christmas

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
slomoe said:
Hi all just signed up yesterday. Anyone interested in Detecting in Druid Hill Park between January and the end of March 2009? Any Saturday or Sunday except the 2ND Sunday of the month weather and ground condition permitting. City permits cost $25.00 and are good from January til the end of December and I need to get certified and also apply for a permit .You will need to become certified by a metal detecting club before a permit will be issued. The certification means you know the proper way to fill the hole. I'd also like to meet in a public place to introduce ourselves to each other and discuss reseach. I live in Baltimore County, Dundalk. Merry Christmas

Has there been any more development on this hunt? What is the history of Druid Hill, and what sorts of things are expected to be found there? Thanks!

Joe Kerr

Jan 27, 2008
I was there back in April, found a bit of clad and a lot of trash (cans, pull tabs, bottle tops). I am sure there is some good items to be found, just not where we were hunting.

OP
OP
S

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies Creskol and Joe Kerr. You are the only replies so far including PM. The park was opened in 1860. You can put Druid Hill Park into a search engine and learn the history of it. It's hard to say what is to be found but I'm sure we'll find pull tabs and the like, hopefully some keepers. I am waiting for 1-27-09 to attend a Maryland Free State Treasure Club meeting to become certified to fill a dug hole, a requirement to get a City Metal Detecting Permit. That permit is good for most of the city parks for the year. What part of the park were you MDing Joe Kerr? There is a Zoo in the park and some other attractions. Here is the web site address of The Maryland Free State Treasure Club. www.marylandfreestate.com :coffee2: HH to all, slomoe

Joe Kerr

Jan 27, 2008
slomoe, we parked at the zoo, and headed south around the ball fields, through some woods (saw where a homeless person was living),headed east and hit an area with a location of picnic tables in ruins, a boarded up building and just past this, up on a hill is a playground.

OP
OP
S

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe Kerr for that info, I'll keep it in mind when I go to recon the Park. I just got back from the Baltimore County Public Library. I checked out a book about Druid Hill Park. During the Civil War 15 regiments of Union soldiers were camped there, not all at the same time. HH to all :coffee2: slomoe

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! Didn't know you could actually do this! Count me in! Im in Pasadena, MD. I thought The park was on the list of National Historical Sites, thus off limits?

I'm new to mding but really would love to get in on this hunt. Please PM me to let me know what I need to do to get involved.

OP
OP
S

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Welcome PiercesDad. I'll have to check that out. The City will let us know if we can MD or not. I would get a permit if I were you, contact a metal detecting club to get yourself certified. I read a book about Pasadena titled The Peninsula. The Post Master's wife's name was Elva thus the area known as Elvaton was named after her. She was from California and she gave Pasadena, Md. its name. That is what the book says. :coffee2: HH to all slomoe

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
slomoe said:
Hello and Welcome PiercesDad. I'll have to check that out. The City will let us know if we can MD or not. I would get a permit if I were you, contact a metal detecting club to get yourself certified. I read a book about Pasadena titled The Peninsula. The Post Master's wife's name was Elva thus the area known as Elvaton was named after her. She was from California and she gave Pasadena, Md. its name. That is what the book says. :coffee2: HH to all slomoe

Keep me posted as plans develop .. I am leaving for Texas in the morning and will be gone for a month or so. Although I live in Virginia, I grew up in Maryland and started hunting there in 1968. I return often to detect. Also, please tell me more about this hole-filling certification thing. Thanks!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, here is a link with the explaination of becoming certified to dig/fill a hole on Baltimore City, Md. property.

You are awesome! I contacted a person who works at the parks office and she could not come up with this document!

muggsc

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2005
York Pa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Whites dual field surf P.I.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Says in the doc. that the zoo is off limits.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am referring to the Dummy Line. (please don't take offense) It was an old trolly line. Plus the stairway to nowhere.

I also just received an e-mail from the parks dept with a metal detecting application and it is the exact same one posted earlier in this thread.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have located a book on the history of this park. I'm picking it up from the Enoch Pratt Library on Monday. I'll keep you all posted on any info I find.

Anybody want to start with prospective scheduling?

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read somewhere that one of the pirates that frequented this area(cannot remember the name), supposedly buried a large amount of treasure somewhere in Druid Hill Park area that has never been found.always seemed kind of weird to me for a pirate to come into the harbor area to bury treasure with all the commotion in the docks like Fells Point. who knows, its probably been found while some thugs been burying his guns or drugs
D.H.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from the cover of the book, I'm excited. It appears to be from the late 1800's with crowds of people on blankets sitting on the side of the lake with one of the towers in the background. somebody had to drop something!

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Hey guys, I'd be interested in hunting Druid Hill with you guys (I think being in a group would be safer). I live downtown right off of Pratt st. and I think the colder months (Feb-Mar.) would be great for hitting the park. I'm working both days this weekend, but would love to get out soon.

rivercatguy

Oct 9, 2004
Indialantic, Florida
To all the respondents........ it's great to see that there is still an interest in metal detecting in the Baltimore area. I have been detecting in Baltimore for over 25 years and there are many fantastic sites still available to "hunt" with the proper research.

I've hunted Druid Hill many times and I hunt primarily Colonial and Civil War era sites. Druid Hill has yielded both even though it was purchased and established as a park in the mid 1800's.

Weather permitting; I'll be there on Sunday mid morning at the lower Mansion House area. If anyone is interested in joining up; contact me thru this site or just show up.

Patterson Park is also a fantastic site to detect. Don't be discouraged that many have detected there over the years. As equipment gets more refined; more finds are coming to light.

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007
Just a little info on Druid Park, years ago I worked on Clipper Mill Rd. and there was a lake, I believe it was Druid lake, anyway we were on one side of it and the park was on the other, I not exactly sure how to get to it thru the park but I do know on nice days there was always people hanging around the lake on the park side...Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread