Civil War camps on the "EASTERN SHORE" of MARYLAND.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil War camps on the "EASTERN SHORE" of MARYLAND.

I have been researching the civil war in MD and was surprised to find that there were a few civil war camps on the eastern shore of MD. One in particular is Camp Kirby, located east of Easton, MD. There does not seem to be a lot written on it. Does anyone no of any information. Thanks in advance.

Ed D.

schj24

Jul 4, 2006
Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Re: Civil War camps on the Eastern shore of Maryland.

Dont have any info, just wanted to say hi to a fellow Marylander. Seems thier hard to find.

jonesat

Greenie
Nov 3, 2006

Just signed up on the board,...and that makes three lol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All I can tell you is that it's listed as a CivilWar "training camp." You probably already know that though.I used to live in Kirby Hills in PG county as a kid.My uncle used to take us to the Calvert Cliffs and he would find all kinds of stuff.I was too young to really appreciate his finds at the time.I don't know what the area is like today though,probably off-limits to us detectorists i'm sure.Here's a list of all the Forts listed in Maryland.There are 3 pages to this link.http://www.geocities.com/naforts/md.html Good luck with your research.Your in a great state with a great history.I wish I still lived there and know what I know now.Lots of good spots i'd like to detect in PG county.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Fellow Marylander here. I heard a story about some troops camping out behind the old church in Quantico, Maryland. I detected back there in the farm field and did find 2 civil war eagle buttons marked with an "A" in the middle. I wasnt after them, I was after colonial relics -thats my thing. Dang govt. has put a post office there now. But I mopped it up pretty well before. My research also showed a tanning shop behind one of the old parged brick homes (I think the thing is colonial) and found a LOAD of buttons there as well. The field has been left to grow wild last time I checked so I doubt you can even hunt it. But the owner may let you cut it and then hunt it. It has been 10 years since I hunted it and it was a most incredible field to hunt because it streches from Cherry walk road all the way to nearly Quantico Creek. The vicinity of Quantico is extremely old. I found a clipped 1698 Spanish cob at a home site that also produded many 1600s and early 1700s copper coins. I dont want to give up its location just yet because it still is one of my favorites - last time there found a Queen Anne cufflink (ca. 1703-1714ish) and some other trinkets. Best of Luck to you, Gary from O.C.

S

SouthernMDhunter

Hi i am new to Maryland, only been here about a year now. Its been different not knowing the area, but i figured with all the History of this state their would be good place to go searching. Little did i know that there are so many regulations, and laws its mind numbing. I live in Calvert County just up the road from J Patterson park. I just bought a metal detector and well do not have much experience with the hobby, but i have always been fascinated with history,actually minored in history in college. If anyone has any ideas about places to look for would like to get together to show a new comer some of the ropes i would love the opportunity. Thanks and good luck searching...

TOWcritter

Been living in Md. my whole life (46yrs. anyway). If you dig deep enough and go off on a different tangent, it's amazing what you can find in your own back yard. There are 2 old public landings (think 3 masted schooners) within a mile from my house that turn up something new every time I go there. And I live near the Bush River!. Go fo rit.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Make it 4 I am a native of Baltimore. After being a Baltimore City cop I decided to move to PA. After being hurt on the job they got rid of me. Now I am moving back to B'more with some brand new detectors. BTW I really want to hunt some CW sites. [email protected]

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007

another Maryland mder here.....baltimore county actually.....don't know much about civil war sites but I have detected in Patterson park in balto city and have found buttons and bullits for civil war era

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow (whoknows) your quite the dangerous type. I worked east baltimore for many years as a post officer. Although Patterson Park is located in South East Baltimore it is still riddled with crime. I myself would be afriad of being robbed or shot going in that area with my equipment.

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007

I've detected pretty much all over baltimore city and never had any problem, except once in gwynn oak park, just some smartass showing off...I generally don't go backwards, so if somebody wants to take something from me their going to have work for it.

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007
Re: Civil War camps on the "EASTERN SHORE" of MARYLAND.

I said gywnn oak park..I meant Druid hill park

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

I'm not from Maryland
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

Seriously, I'm in VA (Stafford near Aquia Creek).
Nobody in the VA section ever seems to post

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200

Howdie!
I'm from the Eastern Shore too (a transplant), and Kirby is an OLD name around here in Kent Co. One of the orgional settlers, captains, etc. in the area. I wish I could help you out w/ more info on that particular site, but the local hysterical ;)societies may be able to help out. Local libraries seem to have quite a bit of solid historical hard-copy to study. The only place around here is a Revolutionary War site, Caulk's Field, a WAY underrated and nearly unknown area where the wartime activity made a HUGE difference in the outcome! Good luck, and again, sorry I couldn't be of more help. You know, I bet someone at the local newspaper is also a 'private' historian. We have a guy here at the Kent County News, Kevin Hemstock, who knows a TON about the local lore and history. You might want to go to your local office and ask around.
Ab

R

raif

Hola from Odenton. I just got into detecting this past weekend and have $0.60 to show so far... ;D

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II

Hey raif, I just moved to Odenton recently and I have .01 cent in my finds so far but that was pretty much my first time out and the place I went was full of garbage. Still learning the machine and stuff.

Maybe I'll see you around.

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Hi,
i did some looking into it .i looked on a civil war site and nothing,
i also went to easton's libary. to the md room. i was really disapointed!! their was some kirby sites around trappe but nothing about a camp. they only had 2 old maps.
i found more than that on the puter . the libary really dint have much about where places were. lots of records of familys ect.. in book but with out the maps it wasn't real helpful.
we usually go out in the evenings or sat or sun. maybe we can meet up some time and go to a site together. my boyfriend the one who really detects i just dig. would like to meet someone else to dect. with. kawalabear

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland

kawalabear said:
Hi,
i did some looking into it .i looked on a civil war site and nothing,
i also went to easton's libary. to the md room. i was really disapointed!! their was some kirby sites around trappe but nothing about a camp. they only had 2 old maps.
i found more than that on the puter . the libary really dint have much about where places were. lots of records of familys ect.. in book but with out the maps it wasn't real helpful.
we usually go out in the evenings or sat or sun. maybe we can meet up some time and go to a site together. my boyfriend the one who really detects i just dig. would like to meet someone else to dect. with. kawalabear

Hey Kawalabear, I live up north in Elkton Maryland. My wifes sister lives down near Pokemoke. I dont think thats spelled right LOL but maybe on one of our trips down we can get together and hit some sites. My wife doesnt detect either. We take my five year old out tho and she just kinda follows him around while I do my thing....How can I talk her into digging for me like you do LOL just messing with ya. Not sure how far Pokemoke is from you guys tho.....

Kierdan

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
For various reasons, I have been in and out of detecting over the last 40 years.
My dad was older than I and I once asked him for ideas for hunting. He couldn't think of any.
Well, one day not long after, I was detecting an open field in Essex, and found a 1942 British Half Crown.
When I told him, he nonchalantly replied, oh yeah. Used to be a military base there.
Gee, thanks.
I have had only one run-in, and it was that same field, the same day. I had a couple of shifty guys approach me, asking questions and trying to slip behind me. I think if I had not had that long, stainless steel trowel with me, I would have been hurt, and detectorless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread