The Old Castle***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK you guys in the Baltimore Co. area. I will give you some of my favorite leisure hunting sites. There are the foundation remains of an old castle at Loch Raven . It is located on the hiking paths at the first road above the Big Dam. There is a map posted there. There is also a geocach there that I found with my detector. It's a bit of a hike in so you have to be in good shape to get there, but what the heck, I am 75 and I can make it.

There are also some strange ruins by the bridge above the dam neat Cockeysville. The foundations look like a series of big steps down a hill side. Found what looks like a model T axle there. Frank

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yes, I am a mile from PA Near Delta. Frank

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 056-1.jpg

Deckguy

Nov 10, 2012
Harford County,Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you guys in the Baltimore Co. area. I will give you some of my favorite leisure hunting sites. There are the foundation remains of an old castle at Loch Raven . It is located on the hiking paths at the first road above the Big Dam. There is a map posted there. There is also a geocach there that I found with my detector. It's a bit of a hike in so you have to be in good shape to get there, but what the heck, I am 75 and I can make it.

There are also some strange ruins by the bridge above the dam neat Cockeysville. The foundations look like a series of big steps down a hill side. Found what looks like a model T axle there. Frank

View attachment 713783

Let's go then. I'm in forest hill

JimH

Jul 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Baltimore County. Let me know when.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well , it kind of cold here in Whiteford. What are you guys interested in, the castle foundation at Loch Raven or the mystery steps at Cockeysville bridge crossing? Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. I used to hunt Loch Raven quite regularly back in the '90s. I haven't hunted there in over a decade since moving to VA Beach in 2000. I am back now and want to get back out there. I know some spots off Warren Rd. that have cellar holes in the woods, back deep. Someone told me that they got stopped by a ranger that said MD was prohibited there now. Do you know if that is true?

Thanks,
Dave

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dave I was out to the castle about four month ago. There is nothing on the posting about metal detecting and I have never seen a "ranger" out there. It is on Balto city property and I think it is in there park department. You enter the trail at the intersection of the road that goes up from the dam and the first cross road. There is a map posted there. The only thing left is a long string of foundations Frank

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's good news, Frank. I still have my Balt. City permit from the late 80's. Got it by attending MD Freestate MD Club. Think it's still valid? I'm going to assume it is!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dave, It's a small world. I was in Freestate Metal Detector Club also, way back. The original permits were undated, the later ones had an expiration date. I had one of the first, but lost it in a fire. The only thing I remember from the club was one of the members was a policeman and was good at getting permission to hunt. I think that was back in the 70's. I am in Whiteford. My main interest is cache hunting, but I enjoy looking for other things also. Frank

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i am in Cockeysville and i have hunted at Warren Rd and found a old horseshoe which was very cool. I also have tryed to find the foundation remains at Loch Raven but i could never find it. I would also like to meet up sometime. Chris

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi i am in Cockeysville and i have hunted at Warren Rd and found a old horseshoe which was very cool. I also have tryed to find the foundation remains at Loch Raven but i could never find it. I would also like to meet up sometime. Chris

The foundation remains of the castle are hard to find. They are app. 200' from the water. They are off the hiking trail that starts at the intersection above the large dam. It's a long hike. Frank...

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have been to the castle foundation about 2 years ago, no wonder I didn't find anything worth telling all of you about Frankn and his buddies must have gotten it all haha. What I did find is the history of the "castle" by research, very interesting. When I was there one of the 2 Osage Orange Trees was split at the base. I sure wish I knew how to heal that tree. The "castle" was built in 1832 and torn down about 1933 by order of the City of Baltimore. Part of the "castle" library windows survive in another "castle" style structure off of Falls Rd that I was lucky to see. I attended a wedding and reception there. I wanted to join Freestate but they moved out of my area. Anyone want to get together and plan a hunt somewhere just send a PM with your contact information. Thanks, slomoe:coffee2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a cop stopped and talked to you without giving a ticket or other action. Is that what I'm seeing in your pics?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a Warning.................. friend, was told no detecting allowed

Email

I guess we came out at the wrong time!!! A NICE young lady from the NEW formed group by the city "Baltimore Environmental Police" unit said NO detecting aloud in Loch raven. She was just so NICE to just give us a WARNING ticket. BLLSHT!!!! What's a man to do on his days off now?? Do laundry!! LOL I just had to share this.

Last edited:

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have metal detected the castle and other areas in the watershed area for years and never had an issue , I hunted with a friend who actually stopped a ranger to get an answer for once and for all and the ranger told us that there was no problem with it and that were looking for (modern) items if anyone asks. maybe balto co. Feels different . I even park and walk the road with my detector to where I go in at.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, my friend has hunted Loch Raven for years also, until this, but as you see they have a new sheriff in town........."Baltimore Environmental Police" One reason I bought a boat and water hunt only, less issues and hundreds of places to hunt.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 713783

I think that is a place I seen 15-20 years ago. If memory serves me right I though it was posted out there you couldn't metal detect. Is it right off the road and a small parking area for visitors that go to Loch Raven? Maybe it wasn't posted but I remember a spot out there that I tried to detect but since it was so close to the road and being state property I felt uncomfortable searching

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I am basically a cache hunter. I have been researching a tradingpost/Fort location on the Susquhana. An island location. It dates back to the 1600's. When spring finally arrives I am going to go there and hunt it. I need someone with a boat to get there. Maybe a group of us could get together on this. Any one interested? The operator of the trading post was driven out and never returned, so there is a chance of a cache being there. Frank...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread