River and underwater detecting in Maryland

cuzif

Aug 24, 2013
Md
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Viper Trident
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going to hunt underwater or in rivers in Maryland you need to look into this.
Maryland Maritime Archeology Program.... Laws and Regulations =
State and Federal laws protect submerged historic and archeological resources located in Maryland bottomlands. In Maryland, state waters include tidal waters up to the mean high tide line and three mile from the coastline, and non-tidal waters within the boundaries of the state that were navigable under the laws of the United States as of April 28,1788, up to the ordinary high water mark. The trust regulates and manages all prehistoric and historic cultural remains in, partially in,or submerged beneath state waters.
After going to the MMAP site if you still are going to detect in the water you should also know that it is Highly Illegal to have your metal detector in your kayak or other means of water transportation while passing thru a Federal park. Example if you launch above Monocacy Battle field ( Pine cliff park) you cannot pass thru the Monocacy battlefield Park by means of water with a metal detector in your possession. They own both sides of the river and the river itself that touches any of their Federal Property.(Trust me I now know this to be a FACT!)
If you want to know who owns the river you can go to www.nationalrivers.org/us-law-who-owns.htm(really good read)
If you have any questions at all you can contact Melissa Brown Law Enforcement Ranger-Monocacy National Battlefield (301)698-6247 ext227 [email protected] It would be easier to make a call rather than take a chance.
I was not forced or encouraged to post this. I did this to keep some of you out of trouble.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you are going to hunt underwater or in rivers in Maryland you need to look into this.
Maryland Maritime Archeology Program.... Laws and Regulations =
State and Federal laws protect submerged historic and archeological resources located in Maryland bottomlands. In Maryland, state waters include tidal waters up to the mean high tide line and three mile from the coastline, and non-tidal waters within the boundaries of the state that were navigable under the laws of the United States as of April 28,1788, up to the ordinary high water mark. The trust regulates and manages all prehistoric and historic cultural remains in, partially in,or submerged beneath state waters.
After going to the MMAP site if you still are going to detect in the water you should also know that it is Highly Illegal to have your metal detector in your kayak or other means of water transportation while passing thru a Federal park. Example if you launch above Monocacy Battle field ( Pine cliff park) you cannot pass thru the Monocacy battlefield Park by means of water with a metal detector in your possession. They own both sides of the river and the river itself that touches any of their Federal Property.(Trust me I now know this to be a FACT!)
If you want to know who owns the river you can go to www.nationalrivers.org/us-law-who-owns.htm(really good read)
If you have any questions at all you can contact Melissa Brown Law Enforcement Ranger-Monocacy National Battlefield (301)698-6247 ext227 [email protected] It would be easier to make a call rather than take a chance.
I was not forced or encouraged to post this. I did this to keep some of you out of trouble.

cuzif, I think you are putting a little too much "what if" and "oh no" worry into this type wording/laws. As I read everything you were wrote here, I noticed:

A) It only applies to Fed and state land. Not other forms of land (city, county, or private).

B) "metal detectors" are nowhere mentioned in any of that. Only "historical" and "archaeological" stuff. And thus it is not "inherently illegal" to have, or use, metal detectors in those zones, if you are not disturbing the historical or archaeological stuff. I mean, let's BE HONEST: this stuff is to protect indian bones, and obvious historically sensitive places (shiloh, bodie, ghettyburg type places where we'd all agree not to go tromping around on). Rarely is it ever invoked for simple forests and beaches. Example: look at what OBN writes: the rangers who watched/saw him, didn't even know what they were doing. And even once they DID know what they were doing, STILL took no offence, since they didn't have any finds over 100 yrs. old.

C) Well then gee, then simply don't find anything over 100 yrs. old. Doh! I mean, really, in my 35+ years of this, I have NEVER had anyone follow me around with a calculator doing the math on the age of each item I find. I suppose "anything's" possible. Like in OBN's case, apparently someone did check to see if he had anything over 100 yrs. old (?) But .... sheesk, can't you just put that barber dime in your "other" pocket?

I hunt forests, deserts, and beaches of all different entities, and have rarely ever found anyone who cares less. But sure, if I sleuthed long enough and hard enough through dry dusty minutia, and asked enough bored archeologists "can I?", I'm sure that I too can find wonderful things that .... if given enough morphing, can be made to say you can't even pick your own nose.

OP
OP
C

cuzif

Aug 24, 2013
Md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to the underwater detecting world.I did not know that these laws existed and I am simply putting these out there so that someone else does not have to go thru the troubles that I have just finished with.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am new to the underwater detecting world.I did not know that these laws existed and I am simply putting these out there so that someone else does not have to go thru the troubles that I have just finished with.

Yes, and that's a noble thing to do. Thank you. Just be aware, that if all of us md'rs spent long enough doing the same thing, we too could find things that *could* be morphed to apply to md'ing. And sure, I have no doubt that if the right archie "happened upon the scene", maybe he'll say "you can't do that". There's a TON of things that *might* apply, if you tried long enough and hard enough, and asked enough desk-bound bureaucrats. And yet, when the truth-be-told, as long as you're not being a nuisance or tromping on obvious historic sites ....... well .... I mean .... what's to stop you from looking for that boyscout ring you lost there as a kid?

I guess what I'm trying to say is: You're right: we can all find things, that someone else *might* say applies. But no, if you approach it from the point-of-view ahead of time that it does apply (or find some archie to "announce" that it does), then it's going to get to the point where you're going to be restricted to mundane sandboxes. And even there, I bet you could find some rule or law that would put that too off-limits (because you might harm earthworms).

Here's an example of the psychology:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...why-not-ask-innocuous-public-places-long.html

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying to "thumb your nose at laws". Of COURSE use due-discretion and don't go waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, "simply because there's nothing that says no md'ing in the laws of such & such park".

OP
OP
C

cuzif

Aug 24, 2013
Md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, Thank You for your time and input.It is nice to have someone who has been at this for awhile share their thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread