New Metal Detector!!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you referring to the AT pro? If you are being an owner of one myself I can honestly say you wouldn't have been hurt getting one. Your choice with the minelab is fine and you should do well but has a bit steeper learning curve than the ATP. There are a few owners of that minelab in our club and those who have the ATP keep up with them and we tease them a little because the ATP has a faster recovery time when you swing so we can go much faster and get ahead of the others. You have a good machine but don't get upset with it because it does take time to learn it. I had a choice as you and chose the ATP, price helped,certain characteristics I like more(waterproof etc) and I like Garrett customer service..they don't ask questions they just appease you. Good luck with your ML no worries u have good equipment.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Congrat's on your new MD. I don't care what you get - if you practice using it - it will work just fine. Now, quit second guessing, bury some coins, rings, etc. outside in the yard and get accustomed to your new puppy - you won't be disappointed. ENJOY!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Both machines are great. For the money I prefer the ATPro, but that's only because m more familiar with it and I am confident in its abilities. That said, I've witnessed the safari sniff out silver deeper and with better target ID than the ATP. If you want a rugged, all weather machine, the ATP is my choice. If you want to go toe to toe with the flagships on land, the safari would be my choice. Either way, you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
Both machines are great. For the money I prefer the ATPro, but that's only because m more familiar with it and I am confident in its abilities. That said, I've witnessed the safari sniff out silver deeper and with better target ID than the ATP. If you want a rugged, all weather machine, the ATP is my choice. If you want to go toe to toe with the flagships on land, the safari would be my choice. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Thank you for the information.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.actually over the weekend we did go toe to toe with some of minelabs best and honestly(these ppl were veteran hunters) we mopped the floor with them. As most garret ATP owners know you can auto ground then you can manually tune the ground balance down making them more sensitive. When I can find 1 lead shot the size of a shriveled pea 20" deep I don't care who you are that's a hot machine especially when I was walking behind a minelab 3030 and an etrac. Both Garrett and minelab have pros and cons but put price in the mix and weather proof Garrett wins out.

OP
OP
Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
This is going to sound crazy, but I purchased an ATpro this weekend. Now I have two MDs, one for the closet as a backup and the ATpro. Can't to try it.

Thanks for the info.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well.actually over the weekend we did go toe to toe with some of minelabs best and honestly(these ppl were veteran hunters) we mopped the floor with them. As most garret ATP owners know you can auto ground then you can manually tune the ground balance down making them more sensitive. When I can find 1 lead shot the size of a shriveled pea 20" deep I don't care who you are that's a hot machine especially when I was walking behind a minelab 3030 and an etrac. Both Garrett and minelab have pros and cons but put price in the mix and weather proof Garrett wins out.

One lead shot at 20"? Now I wonder how it got down that far? Frank...

OP
OP
Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
Took the ATpro out last night. How does a beer can ring at 90 on two different occasions? Is that going to happen from time to time or as I gain experience I will learn how to tell the cans from the $$?

I appreciate any help you guys have to offer?

Tim

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most larger trash items will ring high, especially if it is iron and heavily crusted with rust. Once you learn to use the pinpointer on your AT Pro well you will be able to tell that it is a big object before you dig it. With even more experience you will be able to tell by sound and signal strength what most things are or at least have a good idea of the couple or three things it likely is before you dig it. But you will always get fooled from time to time.

Last edited:

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to raise the coil over the 90's signal. A crushed can will stay strong as you raise. If signal starts fading shortly after raising. Dig it.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see an at pro find a pee at 20 inches
in your dreams not going to happen
better learn to pin point better it was on the side and you knocked it in the deep hole

liftloop

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is good at finding steel toed boots, I can tell u that. Lol. I wear them at work and forgot to change the other day I though my detector was defective due to all the false sigs

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there was any bad direction to go, both machines are very capable.
I'm a die hard AT-Pro fan, but when the money is right... the Etrac is the next thing in my tool bag

OP
OP
Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
AT Pro is good at finding steel toed boots, I can tell u that. Lol. I wear them at work and forgot to change the other day I though my detector was defective due to all the false sigs

Are you happy with the ATpro other than the steel toed shoes incident?

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it...it can really slip in and out of the trash...just got home from work and visited a supposedly hunted out city park and got these in an hour. The ring literally blew the the VDI out of the park at a solid 92. Two inches down. I thought silver dollar for sure. Wish I'd had the Go Pro cam with me, but I hadn't planned on stopping anywhere after long day at work...glad I did though.

WP_20140409_20_21_04_Pro[1].jpg

OP
OP
Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie

Mar 29, 2014
I stopped after work too but didn't fair as well as you did.

Awesome finds.....

Attachments

• image-3853065465.jpg
    image-3853065465.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 97

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread