Anyone have the real scoop on MD permits for Baltimore City and counties?

Lexicon Devil

Oct 7, 2014
Whatcom Co, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montgomery Co says you need a permit, but apparently, in order to get one, you have to prove that what you are doing is part of some archaeological/academic something or another. MoCo is not a very detectorist friendly place. But what I've heard about Baltimore is that a permit is indeed required to dig in public lands (parks and such) but I wonder if that applies to private land.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a link to the permit page of my local treasure club. It explains the procedures for Baltimore City and Baltimore County. Basically, Baltimore City requires a $25 permit, which is good for one year. I believe they also close the parks to metal detecting in July and August. Our treasure club officers were told by the city parks & rec dept that enforcement was going to be stepped up this year, so keep that in mind. Baltimore County also requires a permit, but at least they are free. They don't have any closed periods that I'm aware of. State parks are off-limits EXCEPT the beach areas, which allow it 6:00AM - 9:00AM from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Outside of those dates, you can hunt the state park beaches any time the park is open. See the following link for more details.

Maryland Free-State Treasure Club Permits

Permits are only required on public land. On private land, you can pretty much do what you want, provided you have agreement from the land owner.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retired from the city and it doesn't surprise me that they will step up enforcement of Metal detectors but not worry about homicides

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 things I can honestly say. (1) I doubt many officers will take that call seriously (2) 99% of them won't know the laws about it. (3) If a citation is written it probably would be so screwed up it will be thrown out of court.
I guess they need to step up enforcement after all you can fine a guy for that but not so much a murderer

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as what our treasure club president and treasurer were told, enforcement of these rules in Baltimore City is by the Parks & Rec people, not the police. Basically, they can tell you to leave. I suppose if you chose not to leave, then they might get the police involved. Can't say I've ever been down that road, so that last part is a guess.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So bring some Dunkin doughnuts, stop by the recs office. Problem solved

Top Member Reactions