Ocean City

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you are allowed as far as i know. i usually detact the beach late in the day, at night, or early in the morning so i dont disturb anybody, but i have seen guys detect in the middle of the day with no hassles. :)

OP
OP
D

drustino

Mar 11, 2005
hollowpointred said:
you are allowed as far as i know. i usually detact the beach late in the day, at night, or early in the morning so i dont disturb anybody, but i have seen guys detect in the middle of the day with no hassles. :)
Thanks, have you ever been over to Assateaque Island to detect ?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
nope. i only detected OC. i stay at 20th and the boardwalk so its only a 20 foot walk to the beach! i never really found the need to go anywhere else! good luck down there in august! ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
TOWcritter said:
WOW! 20th and the boardwalk! My father used to work for a company called John H. Hampshire and they owned the apartment building there. Every summer when I was growing up we stayed there. 16 years I think.

its a small world isnt it! it has changed a lot over the years, but there are a few of the older buildings still around down there. wouldnt it be crazy if we are both talking about the same building! i guess stanger things have happened.

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Assateague Island is a big no-no for the detecting. Most of it is a federal park and the part that is not is very small and you can only detect at certain times of the year.
If you are on the federal part and they catch you detecting, they can take your detector, your car and fine you quite a bit.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with Chincoteague and there is supposedly like 12 chests of treasure buried on that island. The legend even gives pretty good details of where it is. Too bad it's federal land. Stupid feds.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My step son told me 3 or 4 days ago that a friend of his was working on the beach replenishment project over in ocean city and when the pump hose stopped up his friend pulled out a blackened silverish disk. My step son said is most definietly a piece of eight with a cross on one side. I have been begging to get a picture of it - it apparently is sitting in the console of the guys pick up truck. Lucky son of a b!@#$. I have been detecting for nearly 18 years and still havent found one of those here in OC. There are wrecked galleons up and down the cost especially south at Assateague and Chincoteague but you cant detect there. My brother in law is a wet land delineator and knows of numerous shipwrecks (he has found massive timbers and piles of ballast) but just walking on certain sections of the marshes and creeks and bay is breaking the law. Its crazy knowing there is real or should i say "reale?" treasure right below our noses and we cant even look at it.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger,

You would not have any idea where they are working the beach replenishment? What street? I am going to guess 70th to 75th ?

The beaches at OC are hunted hard. But you can never get it all.

Ed D.

jgtrev

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
I guess it's a little late if you went to OC in 2007, but the best time to go is about 5pm, at about 7 or 8 pm, the beachcombers come through to scoop up all the trash off the sand from the day, so a lot of stuff either gets buried deeper or taken away as trash.

As far as the pieces of eight go, I have heard it's most likely to find a piece, right after a Nor-Easter storm, that blows in from the ocean, and could wash up stuff that has been out there for awhile.

Hope this helps, from a fellow eastern shoreman

Jeff Trevillian
Salisbury, MD

snakebite

Mar 13, 2006
I live in Delaware and if you go 10 miles north on rt.1 there is a coast guard station on your right, they are finding coins all the time. must have 4x4 costs 6.00 as long as you have fishing pole in ground you can metal detect anyware.

PeterInMD

Aug 3, 2005
North Potomac, Maryland
Has anyone else ever had any luck in OC? I have a condo on the beach at 95th, and i've gone hunting many times. Aside from junk, i've found lots of modern currency, toys, but never anything that I'd consider interesting or worth the effort.

pzpins300

Jul 29, 2008
PeterInMD said:
Has anyone else ever had any luck in OC? I have a condo on the beach at 95th, and i've gone hunting many times. Aside from junk, i've found lots of modern currency, toys, but never anything that I'd consider interesting or worth the effort.
I went MDing in Ocean Cty several times, so far I have bagged a whopping $1.90, woo hoo.

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just got back from OC today. Mded at 19th st. I was suprised at how many people were doing the same. Found nothing better than a penny. That area is hunted hard from what I had seen. I did get a 45 wheatie and a 49 nickel in some change at the hotel so I guess I did ok. Got stuck in that whole Bay Bridge fiasco on Sunday morning, so our 6 hr trip took 10 1/2!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.C news! The fifth street beach is or will be hosting a beach volleyball tournament this week, wee end, next week? Soon!
Should be a great place to try as seating is allowed around the courts.

Ed D.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
There has been "Spanish Silver" found between 72nd and 82nd streets I have been told by a reliable source. There is one known wreck out there, one of the pieces though didn't come from the known wreck. Maybe there is another? The beach is really sanded over though for finding old pieces.

I haven't hunted the beach since the spring, waiting for the crowds to subside and for a good wind to cut it up some.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Interesting article in the local paper today. I wonder if it drifted down the beach?

Rare Artifact Found In Surf

By Shawn J. Soper, News Editor
Originally published September 5, 2008

OCEAN CITY – A large section of what is likely a fairly ancient wooden vessel was discovered in the surf at 43rd Street this week and now awaits its fate in a town-owned storage facility in West Ocean City as state historians and maritime archaeologists attempt to date it and perhaps discover from whence it came.

The roughly 25-foot long, L-shaped artifact was first discovered in the surf by swimmers in the 43rd Street area on Monday. Ocean City Beach Patrol staffers tried to remove the unknown object from the water, but quickly realized it was something much larger than they were capable of moving. The town’s Public Works department was called in and was eventually able to haul the giant piece of history from a bygone era from the water using a front-end loader and other equipment.

“People were reporting to us they kept bumping into something in the water below the surface,” said Beach Patrol Lieutenant Ward Kovacs. “The lifeguards tried to get it out, but they knew right away it was something beyond the scope of their abilities.”

Only after Public Works employees were successful in dragging the mystery object from the water and onto the beach did it become clear it was likely some large part of a vessel shipwrecked or destroyed years ago. The longest section is about 25-feet long with a shorter section attached by treenails, or wooden pegs used in ship building in the 18th century, creating an L-shaped artifact. Realizing it could be a rare archaeological find, Public Works crews carefully removed the artifact from the beach and transported it to a town-owned facility on Keyser Point in West Ocean City where it’s being preserved and stored while state scientists do their research.

“It appears to be a keel and stern portion of a ship and I’ve been told it appears to be dated around 1850,” said Public Works Director Hal Adkins. “We’ve got it covered in an effort to preserve and keep it from drying out. We’ve been told if it dries out, it will likely start to disintegrate.”

On Tuesday, officials from the Maryland Historical Trust Office of Archaeology, led by state maritime archaeologist Susan Langley, arrived at the West Ocean City site to begin unraveling the mystery behind the rare find. While the investigation continues, there are certain elements of the find that can help date it and others that can rule certain things out.

For example, Langley said it was a stern post with dead wood attached, suggesting it was likely from the mid-18th century. The longest section is not the actual keel, but dead wood attached to the keel to provide additional weight for the vessel. Adding dead wood to a keel for additional weight was a practice used in ship building in the 1800s, according to Langley.

Perhaps the most significant part of the find is the metal fish plate attached to the stern post. Through her research, Langley was able to determine similar fish plates were first used on vessels as early as 1805, but she believes this particular fish plate dates back to about 1850 or even later.

“It will probably be impossible to pinpoint the exact age of this vessel, but there are certain educated assumptions that can be made based on the evidence,” she said. “It’s still early, but I would place this vessel around 1850 or maybe even post-Civil War.”

Langley said there were other key indicators used in dating the artifact. For example, treenails (pronounced trunnels), which are wooden pegs used in ship building in the 18th century, are lathe-turned, meaning they are likely post-Industrial Revolution. Prior to the advent of power lathes, treenails and other wooden parts used in ship building were hand carved or cut with a saw.

Noticed immediately when the artifact was pulled from the ocean were Roman numerals carved into the stern post from four to seven, or IIII to VII, on the actual wood. Some on the beach initially believed the carved Roman numerals were an indication of the age of the vessel, and one man actually told OCBP members he thought the markings suggested the vessel dated back to 1537, but Langley explained the carved Roman numerals were depth markings on the stern post used when the vessel was being loaded to determine how low it was sitting in the water.

Langley and her crew were, at first, thought the use of the Roman numeral four carved as IIII as opposed to the widely accepted IV could be used to pinpoint the age of the vessel, but it didn’t prove to be helpful. The archaeologists discovered from their research that IIII and IV were used interchangeably for centuries even dating back to Roman times.

“There was nothing to be gained from the markings in terms of determining the age,” she said. “There is no rhyme or reason for the use of one or the other.”

Although a variety of elements of the artifact has allowed researchers to date the vessel from the mid- to late 18th century, there is little hope for determining what its name was, where it came from and what it was doing off the coast. Langley said the size of the piece found suggests it was likely a merchant vessel carrying cargo and not a fishing vessel. She also said the lack of copper plating anywhere on the artifact suggests it was not a military vessel. “It was a fairly large vessel,” she said.

Langley said the piece was in fairly pristine condition given its age, suggesting it has likely been buried under the sea floor for a long time.

“There are no worm borings or barnacle growth, meaning it was fairly deeply buried,” she said. “It was certainly buried below oxygen level because there is no evidence of any critters getting to it.”

For the same reason, it must have been unearthed fairly recently after perhaps a century or more under the sea floor, but it is unlikely there is more of the vessel off the coast in the immediate area of where it was found this week.

“There is no way of knowing where it came from or where the rest of it is,” said Langley. “It could have been unearthed by a storm or some dredging activity and drifted down the coast. There’s a strong north-south drift off the coast in the mid-Atlantic region, so the rest of it, if it’s still preserved, could be off of Delaware or even further north. Lord knows where it came from, but it was buried until fairly recently.”

For now, the artifact remains carefully stored at the town-owned facility in West Ocean City where the research continues. Langley said it would deteriorate rather quickly when subjected to the elements, but the artifact could find a home for display, perhaps at the Ocean City Lifesaving Museum at the end of the Boardwalk.

“I’ve already had some discussion with [Ocean City Life-saving Station Museum Curator] Sue Hurley at the museum and we wouldn’t have any objection to displaying it as long as it lasts,” said Langley. “It would also make a wonderful teaching piece, so it might have some value for a short time anyway.”

Langley said because so much is not known about the vessel or its origins, it wouldn’t be practical to attempt to preserve it long term. “To truly conserve it would cost a lot of money,” she said. “It’s a wonderful find, but it just wouldn’t be worth it.”

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
I don't agree that it doesn't merit long term preservation. They should be more proactive and try to find further evidence via scuba divers along the current pathways off coast from the find. How much would it cost to build a large "fishtank" with a plexiglass window on one side to exhibit the find? If Bass Proshops can setup giant fishtanks full of bass why can't the city of Ocean City?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Dex said:
I don't agree that it doesn't merit long term preservation. They should be more proactive and try to find further evidence via scuba divers along the current pathways off coast from the find. How much would it cost to build a large "fishtank" with a plexiglass window on one side to exhibit the find? If Bass Proshops can setup giant fishtanks full of bass why can't the city of Ocean City?

if they dont want to preserve it maybe they should talk to Dale up at the shipwreck museum in Fenwick Island DE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread