mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep it simple to start out with. Begin by detecting your front & back yards. Are any neighbors willing to let you detect their yards as well? Then perhaps check out any local parks, schools and churches.....getting permission first if needed. Then pick up books, magazines and old maps to see what you can find. Go to the local library and see what they find for you. Talk to old timers and ask about any swimming holes (if you have a water proof detector that is) or maybe any festivals or town get togethers from years past.

Here is a site which comes in handy quite often for me. Just type in your city/town and you can see where old roads, schools, churches and houses were in the past and might still be there too.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Check out the clubs section of your state as well. There could be somebody close by you could go detecting with.

Clubs & Hunts - Maryland

Since you are new to the hobby, remember persistence pays off. Learn your detector and keep in mind that chances are high you won't find the old stuff every time you dig a hole. But once you find relics which put a grin on your face, that'll keep you going. Good luck.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please be sure to practice digging plugs before you go to public properties or permissions. Most (if not all) incorporated towns and cities have websites. These websites normally have a link to their ordinances which are the local laws and penalties. I also go to county parks sites to see their rules. The internet has made it so easy to find out this info. I mean not as easy as asking on a forum. I also recommend you go to the Maryland forum to pose this question as stated in the previous post. There should be other MDers in your area to get to know and maybe buddy up on occasion. Tnet is my home but I also belong to some local and state Detecting efff beee pages. There has to be some for your area and state. It is legal for me to hunt all public schools, town parks, and other public lands. In my county and most of the others around mine. The county parks require a permit per day and time period. The state parks here it is legal to detect the sandy part of the beaches without a permit, all other areas require a permit issued by the park manager which expire at the end of the year. All permits I mentioned for detecting are free.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Last edited:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hunt the city parks you need to join a club first to obtain a permit. Remember to fill your holes neatly. I'm in the area and would recommend joining a club. We have two in the area, MFSTC Maryland Free State Treasure Club or MARS. MFSTC has monthly outings usually at historic locations. The club has good resources and a good way to meet local detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread