Anybody Hunting on Eastern Shore

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
I've been meaning to get out there, I'm going to be in Ocean City next week and will be doing some MDing there...I just hope there is a nice storm the day before I arrive...hehe

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Starting out with Radio Shack
Although I don't live down there any more, unfortunately.....there are some spots that i wanted to check out. Here are the details.....i ddn't get permission nor ever attempted to....but...Look on a map and find the town of Stockton, MD. Route 113 south to Snow Hill, MD... Take route 12 south to George Island Landing Road (route 366), make a right at stop sign. go down approx. 2 miles? till you see what looks like an old corner store on the right hand side at an intersection. make a right and as you go down towards Greenbackville, VA...look towards the left. There are evidence of old homesteads / abandonded houses. Be warned...this is a tight community...very wary of outsiders. I moved there in 1996 and was the first Foreigner (non-native born) that ever lived there. When approaching people, do not put on "airs" as everyone says. Be cool, maybe say that you are studying with University of Maryland - Eatern Shore? most importantly...understand that you are in a area in which time forgot (for the most part). The bar at the edge of town (as you enter) could be a good source of info, once you buy everyone at the 8 bar stools a beer or three/four (if it is still open). Study the old land maps and tax maps.....do not go on any land without permission. The swamps are dark, deep and unforgiving. This was an area of money before the storm of 1933 ripped open the inlet in OC, killed the oyster population at the foot of Georege Island Landing and fires destroyed the town of Stockton. The swamps are deep and unforgiving.....don't forget it.
I believe that this is a fertile area......let me know.....

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alexndad,

If my memory is correct that is a good area. I found a 1 Reale near there last year. Dated to 1675-1725, was my oldest. Also Civil War activity all around there. No major conflicts but the north and south rode all over the DelMarVa peninsula.

Ed D.

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Get in touch with me about somwhere at RTE 97 and W. Benfield...looks promising give me a call....if anyone has an extra MD for the day, I would be appreciate it . The area lends itself to a picnic lunch and maby a campire?
It is full day, has a extensive dump. I always thought the loser MD that we have. it is was worthless in the area.
email: [email protected] if you want to try to get out there, call Tom(DAD). It is full day, has a extensive dump. Tom HH MD

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....095297,-76.62921&spn=0.006062,0.009484&z=16>

Sticks907

Mar 10, 2007
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
alexndad,

If your talking across the road from the ice skating rink, where the old antique barn used to be, I have been there many times. I did get one IH and some other stuff last year. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,77268.msg564541.html#msg564541

I don't know about your detector being worthless here, there is a lot of trash where the house and barn were. If you can detect around the trash I'm sure there is good stuff to be found. Let me know if you gonna get out there, I'll join you if I can, it's right down the road 5min. for me..

Thanks,

Ed.
[email protected]

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Ed.....
what was there (across from the sportsplex)? it seemed to be a farm at one time? I am trying to do some investigation concerning the "Widow Ramsey's Tavern". Work has been a little crazy lately, but Spring has got me really itching to get out there......

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hey Born2detect,
Happy to see someone get something as nice as that out of the Stockton area. I didn't have the time to MD when I lived in that area and it really killed me. As an an auctioneer/appraiser, i would come across some really nice areas down there. Now that my son is old enough to appreciate a fun hobby and has an interest, I am ready to go...LOL. Have you ever researched the CW camps in Snow Hill or Pocomoke? That may be a good area?
-Tom

Sticks907

Mar 10, 2007
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
alexndad said:
Thanks Ed.....
what was there (across from the sportsplex)? it seemed to be a farm at one time? I am trying to do some investigation concerning the "Widow Ramsey's Tavern". Work has been a little crazy lately, but Spring has got me really itching to get out there......

alexndad,

It was a old farm then the barn became an antique shop.. I have also looked in to Widow Ramseys Tavern. It is mentioned in George Washingtons memoirs eating breakfast there in 1773. It is not on any maps that I have from 1862 /1863 so I think it must have been gone by then. I did find what looks to be a edge of a foundation in the area but veterans hwy was built right on top of it.. I scaned the woods last year up the hill from the marker only to find old nails here and there and there were signs that someone else detected the area about a week before based on the holes they had left. If you have any other info I'd like to here it..

Thanks,

Ed.

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sticks...have you been down to Annapolis to find the oldest maps concerning Widow Ramsey's Tavern? Would also like to investigate the road between the tavern and the Charles Carroll of Carrollton estate....What weekday is your lightest in terms of work? mine is monday afternoon. let me know yours, perhaps we can get together and search the old maps downtown. Just have to take a dozen donuts to the ladies that would be helping....
What about Jacob's Mill?, located on the road that runs parallel to 97 just just as it turns 90 degrees right. Can't remember the name "Viere's Mill's Road? there was a big mill back there years ago. The park ranger is cool about snopping around. Gotta show you a possible homestead site. Get in touch......
Tom & alex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread