Gold panning in the Balt/Wash area and parts of Maryland.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carroll County has gold deposits, Frederick County should also. The band extends into PA and into Harford County. I haven't heard of any in Baltimore county for some reason.

jshane7422

Feb 5, 2013
Thurmont, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Thurmont right by catoctin mountain was thinking about going up there deep into the woods and trying. Think I would have nay luck due to it being a mt. Just trying to get ideas of there to start I'm pretty new to this.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of material on the net re gold in Maryland. Check that out first. In York County, PA the belt goes from the state line (MD) up almost towards Harrisburg. Anywhere schist happens (har har har), you can have a deposit. The entire upper tier of Harford County has small deposits. There are old copper mines in Carroll County that probably have the best prospects.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
There is a lot of material on the net re gold in Maryland. Check that out first. In York County, PA the belt goes from the state line (MD) up almost towards Harrisburg. Anywhere schist happens (har har har), you can have a deposit. The entire upper tier of Harford County has small deposits. There are old copper mines in Carroll County that probably have the best prospects.

All of the gold in York County is a very fine dust. There is a free seminar every year in July at Spring Valley Park that teaches people how to pan for gold.

Chris819

Mar 9, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i am interested in trying gold panning also. I am in the Hunt Valley area of Baltimore County. Where is the best place to buy a gold pan and other stuff i need to gold prospect.

skytel

Jun 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gold I have found was in a country club parking lot but for sure there's gold in Maryland. Specifically in Quartz vein's. There are Quartz veins from Georgia well past Maryland. These veins are on the east side of the mountains and cross right at the 495 bridge (North Potomac, near river road) right at the foot of the bridge. There were several gold mines there but now they're on federal property. But luckily, God left some gold veins outside of federal property,….like 10 feet from it. Here's the summary: The gold (and other valuable stuff) is there in quartz veins, usually encased in granite (Holy Cow). Quartz is viscously sharp, and in dust form will scar your lungs bad enough that you wished you worked in an a asbestos factory. There's only two ways to get it because it's all underground, a: God made rivers that cut/cross thru the quarts veins and do the hard work for free. Gold is as heavy as lead so take some lead bb's with you, stir them in a pail of water, rock, gravel, and sand, and guess how far down they will go? Answer, at the very, very bottom, of the smallest crevice.. Secondly, blast it. That's why everyone digs thru a hill or mountain horizontally because the below ground has been forced up and digging horizontally is much easier then digging down, plus as an added benefit, when you dig down, you will hit water.
Note, every 10-50 years, there are massive storms that refresh every stream. Yea!!!

Suggestion, spend a day at an open mine and see the exposed veins for yourself. Look at the colors and see how they wind thru the granite. Talk to the owner of the mine. You will gain 10 years of knowledge and recoup 10 years of waisted time in one day at a real mine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread