Gold panning in the Balt/Wash area and parts of Maryland.

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II

mags

Dec 7, 2007
I am planing to do some panning this year in ohio for glacier gold....good luck......Mags

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Starting out with Radio Shack
Whoa...gold in this area?....most of the streams have been silted up. Not trying to guess your place, have you done any studies?

TOWcritter

I researched the Maryland gold history for 8 months while I was recooping from surgery, and 8 months later I made a newby educated guesstimate on where I would start my prospecting adventurers. I went to where my research indicated would be a place to find it and I did...in the first pan I had 3 grains. Where it has never been documented. I was almost peeing my pants from my lucky guess. Since I found my first color I have slowly prospected the area and retrieved over an ounce. IT'S THERE!......... You just have to research and sample,.... sample, .........sample........AU 4 you 2

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you talking Western Md. or the Beltway route.....How about Jame's Creek?

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried on google search prospecting for gold near washington dc a good site I have been checking out info for pa and md both I have been buying some eguiptment such as gold panning kit from garret small sluice whites mxt with coils for nugget hunting been reading anything about gold I also joined the GPAA when the weather breaks I hope to get out and try my luck good luck to you with your prospecting Bob

OP
OP
Dex

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
There are 2 spots off the beltway around the VA/MD border. I might have to hit Harford county now that someone mentioned it. Maybe somewhere along the Gunpowder rivers?

The MD state geological survey reports of gold being found in MD, so there is still gold to be found in Maryland. Keep in mind that just about anywhere in the world you are talking about, there is still 80% give or take, still left in the ground.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dex said:
I would also be interested in getting together with people who want to go gold panning. My research has found at least 2 places around the DC beltway but I would like to find some place that doesn't require traveling the beltways if possible.

Anybody know of areas that are good for panning in Anne Arundel county?

I don't know about Ann Arundel County but I used to pan for gold about 5yrs ago up Wisconsin Blvd and then left on River Rd just north of 495. There was an older retired geologist named Jack Nelson who used to take people and teach them how to pan for gold on the weekends. It was a wooded area in a residential area, and you would have no clue that there was actually gold there. We just parked on the side of the road and then it was a steep bank down to a creek that was part of Rock Creek?. On a weekend sometimes I would see 15 to 20 people out there with sluice boxes and pans. The gold was very small but I did on a few occasions see people who actually found little small pickers. I would like to go back there again when the weather gets nicer and do it some more.

Here is a pic of me with Jack and others back in 2001 or 2002.....http://www.infiltec.com/gold/JNelson.htm

Cheers,

XterraDon

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dex if you get some people together to pan for gold let me know I am about 1 and a half hours away not to far away for a day of prospecting any more you need to do things with 2 or more with all of the people out to mess with you I have some places I won't detect with someone along its no fun when you have to watch your back or don't want to wear earphones so you can hear someone comming sat or sun or even doing the week I work for the Goverment so I can get off pretty easy I am reasearching some places in Pa thanks Bob

bountyhunter

Dec 8, 2005
Rising Sun, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 550, Garrett Gold Scorpion, Bountyhunter 220
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in cecil county and believe it or not port deposit md. has a history that hasnt been talked about metal detecting. Also Conowingo md is another hotspot. One reason is the conowingo dam's lake had flooded a small town called ark haven back in 1929. I'm betting on some relics in that area. I have a idea where it was through history writings and maps. Want to tag along some time that be cool anyone. As far as gold I will tag along with other people to go gold hunting. I got a 30 inch sluice box and a gold pan from gpaa. Did alittle gold sluicing and panning in port deposit stream had hardly no luck.. This year I prospected a few streams in pa. Big rocks means big gold. Lets go.

jonnyb126

Feb 7, 2011
I am new to this hobby and message forum. Very interested and live in the Baltimore County Area (close to Harford County).

Maryland Searcher 2

Feb 8, 2009
Baltimore County Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Glenns Falls I heard was a good place to find come color too. Evidently there is supposed to be a small vein that runs intermitently through Baltimore area.

I did look this up on the Maryland geological survey website. Seems promising. Now if I can get my back fixed, buy a pan, build a sluice and get my carry permit I will be all set :tongue3:

jrhyno

Feb 19, 2011
Rumbrave said:
do you need a permit to pan for gold in maryland? if so who would i need to contact to get one?

Indeed! Is it possible to get some clarification on what kind of permit, if any, is required? I believe that I saw that panning in state parks is not allowed, UNLESS one has a permit. Is it possible to get a permit?

Thanks!

csadigger

Greenie
Jan 17, 2012
Adamstown MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gold Prospectors...The GPAA has a New Chapter in Frederick MD..
next meeting is...
Friday, May 11, 2012
8:00pm

• Mt Carmel Church in frederick MD

• Please join us for our newly formed GPAA Frederick/Mt Airy Chapter meeting. You do not have to be a member to come, so bring your friends and family and check us out! or give me a call at 301-524-4376 we also have a FaceBook Group; GPAA Frederick MD

Golden Nugget

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Baltimore Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Baltimore river in question above is not Glens Fall. Its Gwynns Falls. I live right by it. If I were to test pan that one I go just above Baltimore City. The part of it that I live by is just too dangerous to even try. The danger comes from the local people not the river. Be safe!
I'm new to this forum. I've never prospected before. This adventure will start for me when the weather warms up a bit. My plan is to test pan the many small streams in the woods where I grew up. All of these streams flow into the Patapsco River in the Elkridge, Maryland area. Patapsco River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are also Native American artifacts to be found in and around this river. It doesn't have to be gold to be good. I will not give up until I find a gold clinker or picker from my home river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread