NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anybody here ever hunted the Springhill Farm (legally)? I think it was back in 1983 that our club ( Michigan Treasure Hunters ) was invited by the local historical Society and the then land owners, to do a hunt on the property to help fill a new section for the new museum, anyway lots of interesting stuff and artifacts and coins came from this place. The towns people were awesome! They did everything (just shy of a parade) for us. Mission was accomplished. It made front page news of their local papers, they even put on an awesome barbeque in the local park for us. Somewhere around here, I have a copy of the newspaper from then. Some of the articles that were found were; Jeff Davis Hatpin or (badge), silver 3 cent pieces ( we were told we could keep coins found ) Many minie balls, a CSA belt buckle, musket parts, butt plates, one rifle barrel, a missing mortar, lots of cut square nails (used in cannons to stop a charge) also cut up horseshoes for the same use, I personally found a silver rose ring that what I thought was a root growing through it, ( it was actually a finger bone) but I pulled it out and threw it away! I also found 2 LC's, almost side by side.1829 and an 1839 only 6 inches apart and 2 1/2 inches deep, enough pieces of a mortar round were found to re-construct said projectile, just too much stuff to mention. The reason I mentioned " LEGALLY " is because local clubs and other scum have been sneaking on their property and leaving big holes where the cows and horses were breaking legs. And some of these scum had been caught "night sniping there" so therefore that is why they were not asked to help with their searches. One of the members of our club had been hunting the property with permission and heard about their new museum and suggested this hunt using our club. To make a longer story short, About 40 to 50 of us drove out there on a weekend and had the run of approximately 200 acres of what once was a 600 acre farm. Through the years there were running battles from the wars of 1812, colonial battles, indian and French war, and civil war. Made for an interesting hunt. Yes, some colonial sash buttons were found. This is just from my memory banks, which are starting to get a little fuzzy especially with dates, till I find that paper.....Larry 'aka' NOT-GE

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume it is still called the same name, I will do a google search.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am talking......Major Memory Meltdown Here :tard:, Sorry about that. The farm I thought I was talking about, is not the one. The corrected farm name is Springfield Farm, in Williamsport, Maryland and our club went there on Memorial weekend in 1989. All the previous info in my post is correct. C'mon people, for crying out loud, I was only 39 years old back then ;D. It is good that I made written notes with my finds I made there, that I was allowed to keep. When I get a chance I will at least take some pics of what I dug there.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures are done, quality of the ring suffered a little bit, The silversmith that I showed the ring to in 1989 was shocked and asked me where I had gotten that ring, and proceeded to tell me that the makers on the back, had died over 100 years ago. I told him about the root in the ring, and he told me I should have left it in there. This was before I found out that the area I found it in was a field hospital. So in all likelyhood it was a finger bone. I have taken a photo of a photo of some of the stuff that was found on that memorial weekend at the farm. All on that canvas was donated to their new museum. The other items in the pic are various minie balls, and pistol bullets, and odds and ends........Enjoy NOT GE

Attachments

• Finds from Springfield Farm Memorial wknd. 1989 004.jpg
    Finds from Springfield Farm Memorial wknd. 1989 004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 434
  • other side of rose ring.jpg
    other side of rose ring.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 392
  • back of sterling rose ring.jpg
    back of sterling rose ring.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 388
  • display of finds springhill farm.jpg
    display of finds springhill farm.jpg