Extremely new to this (Western Mass)

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
Hi Guys! I don't live in western Ma. So I can't help with specific areas. I am more of a passive detectorist due to limited time. I like easy areas such as small freshwater beaches and cellar holes (limited here on the cape) that I come across while hunting. I have had good luck on small freshwater beaches as they are often overlooked. Neighborhood association beaches are good spots just dig every signal and keep the trash that you dig you'll be amazed at the amount of nails! Go for a hike to find areas in the woods just be careful and WEAR ORANGE AND OTHER BRIGHT COLORS as it is currently deer season in MA (runs through Dec.31). Use google earth to find hidden beaches and pieces of woods to check out. Good luck!!

OP
OP
JonAndDani

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
Thor! said:
Hi Guys! I don't live in western Ma. So I can't help with specific areas. I am more of a passive detectorist due to limited time. I like easy areas such as small freshwater beaches and cellar holes (limited here on the cape) that I come across while hunting. I have had good luck on small freshwater beaches as they are often overlooked. Neighborhood association beaches are good spots just dig every signal and keep the trash that you dig you'll be amazed at the amount of nails! Go for a hike to find areas in the woods just be careful and WEAR ORANGE AND OTHER BRIGHT COLORS as it is currently deer season in MA (runs through Dec.31). Use google earth to find hidden beaches and pieces of woods to check out. Good luck!!

Haha thank you, I actually downloaded Google Earth yesterday for that such reason. And we've been trying most of what you said, minus beaches ofcourse.
We do head out to Dennis pretty often for a Vegan B&B and hit the Rail Trail all the way from there to Wellfleet. So out of curiosity, have you found anything good around them parts?
Not asking for locations or anything specific, just a good find or two if you have them.

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
If I had any good spots I would share! I don't get down towards Wellfleet much if at all. I'm in the Falmouth Mashpee area. Any of the beaches on Cape are a good bet except of course the national seashore where it is against the law. Don't overlook beaches no matter how small in your area. The digging is easy and it is a good place to learn your detector.

OP
OP
JonAndDani

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
Thor! said:
If I had any good spots I would share! I don't get down towards Wellfleet much if at all. I'm in the Falmouth Mashpee area. Any of the beaches on Cape are a good bet except of course the national seashore where it is against the law. Don't overlook beaches no matter how small in your area. The digging is easy and it is a good place to learn your detector.

Noted, we just picked up a White's Prizm IV. So we got a lot to get use to it seems.

Got to love going out digging in 30 degree weather. I wished we picked a better time of the year to get into this haha.

Thanks again.

-Jon

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon and Dani...welcome to a VERY addicting and sometimes rewarding hobby!!! Check with your local historical society for they are a wealth of info for spots to detect and also talk with some fo the oldtimers in town for they can tell you older spots and events that may ahve happened on them years ago...Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JonAndDani

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
Mainedigger said:
Jon and Dani...welcome to a VERY addicting and sometimes rewarding hobby!!! Check with your local historical society for they are a wealth of info for spots to detect and also talk with some fo the oldtimers in town for they can tell you older spots and events that may ahve happened on them years ago...Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips Mainedigger.

CAPTIANJACK

Feb 19, 2008
hey guys,

welcome aboard.

looking foward to seeing you out on the hunting field. Hoping to get out one or two more times this year, weather permiting. Holyoke is a great place to hunt, many places with alot of history. Had two of my best afternoons there. (hint for the cold season, read every tip you can about hunting and get to know your detector settings.) lay coins and tabs on the floor and get to know the different signals it will save you alot of time later on. Hope we can meet up this spring.

Good luck!

OP
OP
JonAndDani

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
CAPTIANJACK said:
hey guys,

welcome aboard.

looking foward to seeing you out on the hunting field. Hoping to get out one or two more times this year, weather permiting. Holyoke is a great place to hunt, many places with alot of history. Had two of my best afternoons there. (hint for the cold season, read every tip you can about hunting and get to know your detector settings.) lay coins and tabs on the floor and get to know the different signals it will save you alot of time later on. Hope we can meet up this spring.

Good luck!

Hey Jack!
Where abouts in Ma are you from and how long have you been detecting?
Hopefully the weather holds out a little more. It was raining heavy today but it was also warmer than the past few days, so who knows what's in store.

-Jon

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
Welcome from Gardner, Ma.
Yup it's gettin' a little too cold for me.... but spring is coming ! lol

H

hessian raider

try historic map works. go to "search", type in town/city and state. use the "crop" feature to get around the limited zoom. cross-reference those maps with modern satellite imagery; i.e.- google maps. remember, your search will only be as good as your research. good luck!

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I also live in Springfield. I grew up in Turners, and also lived in Erving for a while. My mother in law lives in Chesterfield, in a house from the 1700s and where there used to be a cider mill. I also know of an old coach road nerby, where the stage coach used to stop to rest and water the horses.

I am looking for one or a group of people to go hunting with. I would like to learn more, and find some decent places I can hit with people. Then perhaps we can hit some of the places like the ones I think I can get access to (like the ones above if we are VERY clean about hole digging).

Please feel free to get in touch with me. I am very tired of hitting the trashy park next door and finding nothing older than the 70s!

MeanGene

Jul 3, 2009
Easthampton, MA
I am a new member here (first post). I also live close to some of you, Easthampton MA.

Moved out here from Boston last year to work.

I will be going out today to buy a Metal Detector, it is a Garrett CX111. 200.00 dollar deal sound good to me based on what i have read in this forum.

Here is a helpful tip that may be of use. I have been poking around Hampshire County Registry of Deeds website. You can search the online database by address to display any info on a specific location. Land deeds, mortgage papers certificates etc... Could be a useful tool in Detective work to find new spots to search.

Any advice for a newbie to the hobby??!!

Thanks.

GENE

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and I'm a complete newbie at metal detecting. I just ordered a detector which should be arriving soon though, and I'm itching to go out and find some coins. However, I understand that the state of Massachusetts has some very Byzantine and ridiculous laws... I say this as a firearms owner here.

I live right next to Springfield, and this area does have a lot of history and old parks. So I was wondering if anybody has any useful tips or insights about the region they might wish to share.

Specifically, are most parks around here, including those in Springfield, legal to hunt? Or do I need permission from each park overseer? Are there any places (parks, etc.) or even towns which are a definate no-go? I could see places like Longmeadow having historic groups getting their panties in a bundle. I've been doing a little historic research though, and hopefully I'll find some accessible spots.

Well, I hope I get my new B.H. tracker iv in soon so I can get out there!

jesse4163

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JonAndDani said:
Thanks for the tips Mainedigger.

Hi guys I'm from chicopee welcome to the hobby I started in the hobby in april. I enjoy it very much try ur library they will have maps and books that will help you a lot. Well I hope to see you out and about
Good luck!!!

plumbdigger

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2012
belchertown
Detector(s) used
teknetics t2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also new to this I started a few months ago. I used the library to research old maps. I'm amazed at what I've found so far. Anybody ever wants to go out for a hunt let me know I live in Belchertown. I'm always looking for someone to go with. I also live on a 200 year old farm with tons of land to hunt, found some silver so far, buttons like crazy and my first large cent a few weeks ago.

Andrew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread