Metal detecting in Lynn Parks is forbidden. Matter of fact......

MajorBeep

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2007
even being in possession is against the law.

In my search for parks or forests around Boston that are legal to detect in, I saw on a previous thread that someone listed Lynn Woods was a good place to detect. So I first searched to see if it was DCR/MDC land and found no listing. I then took a look at Google Maps to see if it was Federal Land. At first blush I didn't notice anything that would concern me. But when I zoomed in to the "1000 ft" resolution altitude, right smack in the middle of the park map was the text "Lynn Woods Historic District". Now this made me nervous!

I then looked on the Lynn Parks Dept. web page and found this document, which are supposed to be the "Rules":

http://www.ci.lynn.ma.us/cityhall_documents/parks_recreation/2009_Parks_Rules_Manual.pdf

I read the rules cover to cover and did a word search for "metal", "detect", "detecting", "detector" etc just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I found no reference for or against metal detecting.

But rather than just hop in the car & venture off I decided to contact Dan Small the Ranger in charge of Lynn Woods. In reply to my e-mail Dan informed me of the following:

""Possession of a metal detector is prohibited by the Lynn Park Commission in "Rules and Regulations" section 2-h.""

That's right, you can't even possess one on Park land, let alone use it.

So my search for public places(Parks, Woods) around Boston continues. If anyone knows of towns (North Shore, South Shore, Metro West) that allow detecting in their parks, and the place isn't filled with criminals & bums I'd sure like to know about them. Even if they've been hunted to death, I'm just looking for quiet places to practice, not expecting great finds.

MB

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i would say (h) is very clear -- since you can not even HAVE a detector while there * by rule -- metal detecting would of course be impossible to do (since you can not have one to do it with while there in lynn parks)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread