The DCR and metal detecting?

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
I took my kids to a local mill on DCR land this past Sunday to see if I could find anything. Found an old anchor bolt that matched one in a rock as well as some square-sided nails, a key, and a 1994 10 penny Finnish coin! Saved one nail and the Finnish coin and went up to the house that's on the property to see if they wanted the rest for historical purposes. The guy who answered, while quite friendly (his brother metal detects), told me that there is no metal-detecting on DCR property. I'd checked the regs posted at the location and there was nothingabout it and I've searched the DCR web site multiple times and the only thing I've been able to find--I think it searches all state pages since it finds the same things I've found searching onLEGIS--is regulations on underwater archeology and no metal-detecting allowed on Quabbin land (grrrrr!). I have a hard time believing that metal detecting on DCR land is not allowed is correct--not being able to search the mutilated banks of the Charles River, for instance, is just plain absurd. Anyone have the low down? Any other insight onto the legalities of searching on MA state land?

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rich,
Only the same thing you've seen, I've searched for every combination and permutation of "metal" and "detecting", and find the same thing. Although I have found regs listed on some website (don't remember which agency) about "removing" artifacts/collecting...I haven't wanted to actually call someone to ask for a definitive answer and give them the chance to say no, particularly since people on TNet suggest that the lower-level employees/clerks will just say no to be safe and/or because they don't feel like doing the legwork to find out the real rules...Good luck with finding out more,
Lara

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All!

New MD'er here, live in Concord and hoping to do a lot of relic detecting.

I emailed the DCR and got back info on their regulations. The State park and Forrest guide does state that there is no metal detecting on state land.

"(3) No person shall use or offer for use metal detectors on Department property except at the
discretion of the Area Supervisor on designated swimming beaches and designated campsites."

Here is their web site: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/legal/regulations.htm

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
JT2 said:
New MD'er here, live in Concord and hoping to do a lot of relic detecting.

I'm pretty new to it as well and not far from Concord. Let me know if you ever want to go out. (Or anyone else nearby.)

I emailed the DCR and got back info on their regulations. The State park and Forrest guide does state that there is no metal detecting on state land.....

Did you see anything about non-park or forest DCR land?

_Rich_

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Rich,

The .pdf document that prohibited metal detecting was for the State Forests and Parks.

BTW, do any of you MD in town parks? Is it legal, or do you need to ask permission from the town?

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
JT2 said:
BTW, do any of you MD in town parks? Is it legal, or do you need to ask permission from the town?

There are no regulations against it in my town--at least according to the town counsel via a selectman. But from other comments here I gather it varies considerably from town to town. But I've also started doing so without querying in a couple of neighboring towns and I've had a lot of police drive by so I presume there's no issue.

But, if where you're looking to go is like where I've been, almost all have been heavily landscaped. For instance, next to my town hall, I found an '84 (or '85) Red Sox Pepsi can 10-12" down.

Fozzy

Dec 11, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III
You should be safe in most town parks. Usually the police department will have a copy of any town bylaws. I've yet to encounter any municipal ordinance in Mass. forbidding detecting.

In other news, I'm in the Lowell, Mass. area and I'm always up for a hunt!

parker23

Greenie
Dec 23, 2006
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
DFX
I am new to MD as of 11/16/06. On 11/26/06 I was in Lexington, Ma for a HS reunion.
Decided to bring my new DFX and try my luck in local parks.

10 minutes into my search, a very nice Fed Park Policeman decided to interupt my hunt. 1 hour later, a violation ($125.00) and luckily my detector I am free to go.

Be very careful in historical areas.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Ask permisson if in doubt, heck ask anyway you may get to do an area that is off bounds just for asking. I even had three park rangers show me where there were old cellar holes and a well. Be safe and ask. What's the worst that can happen? They say no. Good luck. Cladius.

Dave M

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this thread started a long time ago, but 2 years ago i was stopped by DCR police who said I wasn't allowed to detect on DCR land. When I told him i read the posetd sign and that it didn't prohibit metal detecting, he pulled out a binder from his vehicle and showed me the section (in print) where it specifically stated that metal detecting was prohibited. I didn't have my phone with me to take a photo of it, but I read the section. He politely let us go on our way to our cars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions