Brendan2007

Aug 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this hobby. I bought a whites coinmaster gt a few months back, and ive been hunting the local fields/woods around my town. I haven't found anything spectacular, a few clads near my house...the majority of of my finds have been nails! I am discriminating iron&nails but they still show up. What am I doing wrong? Is it the detector settings or the places im searching? I sure would appreciate some input!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this hobby. I bought a whites coinmaster gt a few months back, and ive been hunting the local fields/woods around my town. I haven't found anything spectacular, a few clads near my house...the majority of of my finds have been nails! I am discriminating iron&nails but they still show up. What am I doing wrong? Is it the detector settings or the places im searching? I sure would appreciate some input!

Where are you located? If you discriminate all iron, foils, screw tops, and nickel you should miss them all almost.
Hope that helped

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use a Coinmaster. I've found that even when I am discriminating out iron, some still show up (rusty nails and screws mostly). I think this may be because they are "overloading" the detector in that they are either large (6 or 8 penny nail size) or very close to the coil (just under the surface). Deeper iron doesn't seem to trigger with iron discriminated out. As Wicka mentioned, if you take too many settings out, you will miss the good stuff. I have found a small gold ring which came in on the "foil/pull tab" setting (signal moved back and forth between both). Sometimes I don't discriminate anything out - I dig it all. You never know what you'll find. A lot of relics are made of iron (old locks, keys, toys) and it would be a shame to miss out on these. Hope this helps.

HH,
Anita

ducketz

Jul 28, 2012
It doesn't matter what detector you are using you will find that large iron or even small nails will still make a tone . I had a coinmaster pro it did false out on iron but you will start to hear a little difference in the sound when it beeps ,it will cut the end of the tone off just a hair. Any how If it makes you feel any better I use a Etrac now still digging nails!!... Happy digging:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread