bferu2

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2013
Winthrop MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My name is Brian and i live in Winthrop MA. Relatively speaking im very new to the hobby. I bought a Garrett Ace 350 for my first MD and didn't have much luck so i purchased a Garrett AT Pro only to have less luck haha. Im an intelligent man and feel i can do or learn anything. Well there are 2 things i cant figure out for the life of me 1. how to use these MDs and how to use this forum. I did however learn that its not the machine you use......Please help. Looking for someone in the area to maybe communicate with or actually go on a hunt with and give me some physical and practical instruction.

Now i don't know where to look for replies so i'm going to do something that may break some rules which i am not aware of ....My email is [email protected]

thank you and bless you all who take pity on me so i can be productive and maybe have the awesome feeling of returning someones lost memory.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Sir...Welcome to T-net. Sorry I'm not from your area. Perhaps you could elaborate on the problems you are having learning your detector. The At Pro is very popular with a lot of folks here. There is a sub forum just for Garrett users, you could find some help there I bet. Also a sub forum for each state, Try the MA sub forum.

First thing I would do (if you haven't already), with a new detector is bury some coins and see what sounds your detector makes. Then bury some common junk items and see how they sound. Also note where they read on your display meter. When you can find what you buried you are ready go...happy hunting.

OP
OP
B

bferu2

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2013
Winthrop MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much for your advice. I have yet to bury some objects and do a test. That will be the first thing i do today when i head out. Very helpful....I will also try to figure out how to navigate my way to some local and more precise sub forums. I do have one question for you, if i may? Why am i not alerted someway somehow that you sent a reply to my post. The notifications tab read NO NOTIFICATIONS.. I also tried to start a local group and i cant find it. Just an fyi i am very good with computers but never had chatted on forum and such.... Again thank you very much

Brian from Boston

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brian, I may be in your area (Newton, Ma.) August 3rd thru the 7th and I'd be happy to meet up with you. I don't have experience with the At Pro but I have a hunting buddy who does. I feel sure he could show me enough that we could help you if it looks like you and I might get together while I'm there. I'll also send this to you thru PM (private message) and you will be notified when you log on next time - you also should receive an email from TNet indicating that you have been sent a PM.

Steve

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Brian,

It is a vicious game! You have to get to know your machine... and you MUST be at a spot where your target is present. Obviously, you can't find what is not there. The local park or school should have clad coins, relatively shallow, that you can "practice" on.

I know Smittyman, I might be the AT Pro user he is refering to, not sure, we hunt together occasionaly. He has helped me out a lot.

It takes a little while to learn the AT Pro. Just keep going and it will get better. Like JSF said above, bury targets and practice on them. Use Pro mode, sensitivity down 2 from the max, or a little more... make sure that you ground balance the machine. Watch the numbers... 79/80 is a penny... 81 is a clad dime... you ought to be able to find a few of these in a public place. The coins have a "clean" sound to them, no warble, no clicking, none of that, a nice clean high tone. Garrett (and other people) have good videos on You Tube... I found those helpful also.

I hope that this helps a little. If you have specific questions, PM me, I am glad to try to help.
GL! Carolina Tom.

OP
OP
B

bferu2

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2013
Winthrop MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Carolina Tom,

Just want to apologize for not responding to this in a timely manner. Im not very familiar with these forums and such. I spoke with smittyman via telephone yesterday and he told me that you had chimed in with some very good advice. I just read what you wrote and want to thank you for taking the time to help me. Im going out today to make a pretty elaborate test pit. I think that will be the first order of business. Then i have the good fortune of smittymans wife having business about 10 miles from where i live. Im looking forward to hooking up with him and learning whatever i can as well as purging bad habits i may have picked up.

Again sorry for the delay and thank you very much

have a great day

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread