Received this e-mail today - not sure of the validity - detecting Mass beaches

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Roger Barbrick ([email protected])
5:48 PM
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
Newsletters
To: [email protected]
[email protected]

To my metal detecting friends;
Today after I sent another email reminding the DCR that we were waiting for a response, I received the following email.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Barbrick:

I am sending this email on behalf of Mrs. Ellen FitzPatrick who is currently out of office.

Thank you for your follow-up email. We apologize for any confusion and hope that this email can provide some clarification.

After receiving your latest email, I consulted with several of my colleagues in order to better understand the intent of the latest recommendation regarding our metal detecting regulation. As it pertains to metal detecting on coastal and inland beaches, permission from the park supervisor will actually not be required. I apologize for any confusion that may have been caused by the previous email. As for other non-beach areas within DCR parks and forests – where metal detecting is not currently allowed due to potential natural, cultural, and archaeological resource protection concerns – metal detecting will be allowed when searching for specific lost personal property with verbal permission from the park supervisor.

Once again, thank you for your continued interest in DCR. We hope this addresses your questions.

Sincerely,

DCR MassParks Team

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So as you can see we will continue to be allowed to metal detect on all DCR coastal & inland beaches and without 1st having to seek permission, according to the above email. :-)

Below is the comeplete trail of emails ending with the above statement that we can continue to detect the DCR beaches.
Thank you all for your support and help in getting our message to the DCR.
We are not Vandals, we are Hobbiest that do much more good than most know and through our efforts I think we showed everyone the truth about what we do.
When reading the email thread below, start from the bottom and read your way up if you want to see what transpired.
Thanks again for helping me get this done! It wouldn't have happened without your phonecalls, emails and signing the petition!

Roger Barbrick (Dirtscanner)
Salem, MA

----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Barbrick:

I am sending this email on behalf of Mrs. Ellen FitzPatrick who is currently out of office.

Thank you for your follow-up email. We apologize for any confusion and hope that this email can provide some clarification.

After receiving your latest email, I consulted with several of my colleagues in order to better understand the intent of the latest recommendation regarding our metal detecting regulation. As it pertains to metal detecting on coastal and inland beaches, permission from the park supervisor will actually not be required. I apologize for any confusion that may have been caused by the previous email. As for other non-beach areas within DCR parks and forests – where metal detecting is not currently allowed due to potential natural, cultural, and archaeological resource protection concerns – metal detecting will be allowed when searching for specific lost personal property with verbal permission from the park supervisor.

Once again, thank you for your continued interest in DCR. We hope this addresses your questions.

Sincerely,

DCR MassParks Team

------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:25 AM
To: Palmer, Shaneice (DCR)
Subject: Fwd: Metal detecting on DCR beaches

-----Original Message-----
To: ellen.fitzpatrick <[email protected]>
Cc: gary.briere <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am
Subject: Re: Metal detecting on DCR beaches

We are patiently awaiting clarification of the DCR Beach metal detecting status. Recently 2 other detectorists were not allowed to metal detect on a DCR beach (Salisbury). Please update us on the status of metal detecting on the DCR beaches.

I was told that metal detecting would continue to be allowed pending a change to that status, but we are still being told not to detect on some beaches.

Could you please forward me the name and email address of the DCR staff or person chairing the rules committee?

Thank you,

Roger Barbrick

978-835-5679

Salem, Ma

To: 'Roger Barbrick' <[email protected]>
Sent: Fri, Jun 6, 2014 4:31 pm
Subject: RE: Metal detecting on DCR beaches

Thanks

Ellen Smith FitzPatrick

DCR Community Relations Coordinator
251 Causeway St., Suite 900
Boston, MA 02114
PH: 617-626-1412 FAX: 617-626-1351
Email: [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 4:28 PM
To: FitzPatrick, Ellen (DCR)

Thank you so much for getting back to me. This is a very important matter to a lot of people and we will wait to hear from you, hopefully soon.

Thanks again

Roger Barbrick

Sent: Fri, Jun 6, 2014 4:04 pm

Mr. Barbrick, I apologize for not responding sooner. I did forward your message to the DCR staff working on the metal detecting policy and I’m waiting for them to get back to me with a response. I will get back to you soon. Thanks for your patience.

Ellen Smith FitzPatrick
DCR Community Relations Coordinator
251 Causeway St., Suite 900
Boston, MA 02114
PH: 617-626-1412 FAX: 617-626-1351
Email: [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 9:53 PM
To: FitzPatrick, Ellen (DCR)
Cc: Briere, Gary (DCR); [email protected]

I was wondering if you saw my message and if you could please respond for clarification?

Thank you

Roger Barbrick

To: ellen.fitzpatrick <[email protected]>
Cc: gary.briere <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, May 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Dear Ellen Fitzpatrick, I want to thank you for your response to my inquiry, however I do need some clarification if you don't mind.

In the paragraph that I have pasted below you stated a couple of things that the metal detecting community and I would like clarified please.

Am I to understand that recreational metal detecting will be allowed with verbal permission from a park supervisor and not just only to search for a "specific" item? If the answer is yes, how does someone get permission to detect on an ocean beach like Nahant or Revere, etc, especially in the evening or very early in the morning? Metal detecting ideally is done by the majority of us at or near low-tide and that sometimes requires us to be there at unusual hours.

Thank you

Roger Barbrick

With regard to metal detecting, the proposed draft regulations issued last fall would have required written permission from DCR personnel for the purpose of recovering lost personal property. In its latest draft, DCR is now recommending that this activity be allowed to continue on inland and coastal beach areas with the simple permission of the park supervisor and when it is not in conflict with other’s enjoyment of the beach or harmful to natural resource areas. In order to protect cultural and archaeological resources and the natural landscape of many of our park and forest lands, metal detecting would only be approved in these areas when the metal detector is assisting a customer to locate a specific lost item.

===================================

Cc: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, May 29, 2014 11:23 am

Dear Mr. Barbrick:

On behalf of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation & Recreation (DCR), thank you for your outreach and inquiry regarding metal detecting and for expressing your thoughts and concerns in reference to proposed draft regulations regarding this activity on DCR property. We appreciate your time in communicating with us on this matter.

As you know, DCR is in the process of finalizing a new set of Park Rules and Regulations that would consolidate a variety of regulations that were originally promulgated by its predecessor agencies – the MDC (Metropolitan District Commission) and the DEM (Department of Environmental Management). The consolidation of these regulations would achieve the goal of establishing uniform rules and regulations across the entire state parks system; thereby enhancing understanding among park visitors and simplifying enforcement for our staff.

In the fall of 2013, DCR publicly issued a copy of its proposed draft regulations (302 CMR 12.00) and posted these draft regulations on the DCR website. In addition, the agency hosted a series of five public hearings across the Commonwealth and provided a 30-day written comment period in an effort to solicit public input on the draft. This public process has resulted in a considerable amount of valuable public feedback that the agency thoroughly reviewed and considered.

With regard to metal detecting, the proposed draft regulations issued last fall would have required written permission from DCR personnel for the purpose of recovering lost personal property. In its latest draft, DCR is now recommending that this activity be allowed to continue on inland and coastal beach areas with the simple permission of the park supervisor and when it is not in conflict with other’s enjoyment of the beach or harmful to natural resource areas. In order to protect cultural and archaeological resources and the natural landscape of many of our park and forest lands, metal detecting would only be approved in these areas when the metal detector is assisting a customer to locate a specific lost item.

Once again, thank you for your outreach and for your input. We hope that this response has served to address your concerns. DCR anticipates moving into the next phase of the promulgation process soon. If you would like to receive automatic updates regarding this topic, we encourage you to join our e-mail distribution list by sending an email to [email protected] and specifying your interest in receiving information related to the promulgation of our park regulations.

Sincerely,

DCR MassParks

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 3:32 PM
To: Parks, Mass (DCR)
Cc: Hickey, William (DCR)
Subject: Metal detecting on DCR beaches

To Whom it may Concern;

I am writing this email to ask a question regarding the recreational use of metal detectors on DCR saltwater beaches. My question is, has metal detecting actually been banned on all DCR run beaches and if so why is this happening?

The reason I ask is because in early April of 2014 I was approached by a DCR Ranger and advised that metal detecting will no longer be allowed on DCR State Beaches, and that come July 1, 2014 citizens will start being ticketed if found to be metal detecting on any Massachusetts DCR run State Beach.

As metal detecting hobbyists, my friends and I have been allowed to enjoy the recreation of metal detecting at the local saltwater beaches of Massachusetts for as long as I can remember. Needless to say I was very disturbed by what the DCR Ranger was telling me and that has brought me to make this inquiry.

If this is true, I do not understand why this form of recreation should be taken away from the citizens that enjoy metal detecting. There are thousands of us that enjoy the hobby and follow strict guidelines and a code of conduct when it comes to metal detecting. We remove any trash that we find on the beaches and we conduct ourselves in a respectable manner. In fact there have been sponsored events conducted by organized metal detecting groups on Massachusetts beaches that have been enjoyed by many children and adults of this state.

I personally don't know of any incident involving a metal detecting hobbyists that would give cause to ban detecting on DCR saltwater beaches. As a matter of fact, I only know of metal detecting hobbyists helping others by returning lost jewelry and other items, while also removing tons of trash that they have found while detecting.

I would be very grateful if I could receive a timely response to this inquiry so that the metal detecting community and I know how to proceed.

Could you please attach a link to the relevant CMR or MGL. if one is available regarding a ban on metal detecting.

Sincerely,

Roger Barbrick
Salem, Massachusetts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread