I do know the Indians used to net for stripes across the Weymouth Fore River

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever hear of a camp site for Native Americans in the Rockland Hanover area?What i was told that after Hingham was attacked in the King Philip war the Indians camped there.There is a King Philip st in Rockland,would be interested on any info.

Can't answer your question directly but...among the several books on King Philip I've read, I think the most informative one is " King Philip's War" [The history and legacy of America's forgotten conflict] by Eric B. Schultz and Michael J. Tougias. I'll glance through some chapters and see if anything is mentioned.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
an excerpt from this site ...Hingham Military History

Meanwhile the latter, not perhaps sorry to be in the open air this April morning, keeps eye and ear alert for sign or sound of the wily foe. From the summit almost the whole of the lower village can be seen.
Across the glassy waters of the inner bay, which, stretching away from his very feet, are broken into several shady coves and dotted with islands, he is following with ill-pleased attention a canoe paddled by an Indian, who a moment later may be seen climbing the cliffs on the eastern shore and losing himself in the forest paths which lead toward Neck Gate Hill, from behind which a faint blue smoke rises and fades slowly away. There on the southeastern slope, and nearly at the foot of the hill, are the wigwams of the little-trusted countrymen of Philip who yet remain in the vicinity. This spot, by tradition said to have been the last camping-place of the Indian in Hingham, is comprehended in the property now owned by Mr. T. T. Bouvé, and called, from the fact and the configuration of the land, "Indian Hollow." The smooth lawn of the present day shows no sign, but the plow would reveal a long and broad line of disintegrating clam-shells, doubtless a shell-heap of the former inhabitants, and several implements have been picked up in the immediate vicinity which were formerly in use by them.

OP
OP
R

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
an excerpt from this site ...Hingham Military History

Meanwhile the latter, not perhaps sorry to be in the open air this April morning, keeps eye and ear alert for sign or sound of the wily foe. From the summit almost the whole of the lower village can be seen.
Across the glassy waters of the inner bay, which, stretching away from his very feet, are broken into several shady coves and dotted with islands, he is following with ill-pleased attention a canoe paddled by an Indian, who a moment later may be seen climbing the cliffs on the eastern shore and losing himself in the forest paths which lead toward Neck Gate Hill, from behind which a faint blue smoke rises and fades slowly away. There on the southeastern slope, and nearly at the foot of the hill, are the wigwams of the little-trusted countrymen of Philip who yet remain in the vicinity. This spot, by tradition said to have been the last camping-place of the Indian in Hingham, is comprehended in the property now owned by Mr. T. T. Bouvé, and called, from the fact and the configuration of the land, "Indian Hollow." The smooth lawn of the present day shows no sign, but the plow would reveal a long and broad line of disintegrating clam-shells, doubtless a shell-heap of the former inhabitants, and several implements have been picked up in the immediate vicinity which were formerly in use by them.
Thanks for the info,this sounds like the Bear Cove area with the esker on the Weymouth side.The site i am looking for was only used for a short time right after the battle.From what i know the Indians traveled on to Middleboro from here along what is now rt 105 .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread