Littleton, MA area detecting suggestions needed?

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't posted since last year and never on this forum. We are camping in the New England region for a couple of weeks and I need some help with places to detect in MA, ME, NY, etc.. We are in Littleton, MA for the next few days, (9/11-14). Are there any old parks, schools, etc. that have potential for old coins? As a rule, is detecting in parks allowed in the towns around Littleton, Concord or New England in general? Any help would be appreciated, especially quick help. Thanks.

H

hessian raider

rutland mass is about 50 minutes away from you. look for barracks hill road; on the north side of the road is a low hill. on top of this hill was a revolutionary war prison camp. there was 2 long houses and a large well(10 feet across) WATCH OUT FOR THE WELL!!!! if you find the well, you know you are in the right place. there is other sites in that town; a TB hospital and a prison work camp, but I would focus on the rev. site. good hunting!

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
HR, thank you for the tip.

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Hey Gary,

Lynn, Mass. is not far from Littleton. Get on Route 1 heading North, and look for the Lynn exit. Ask anyone around there for directions to the Lynn Woods. Lots of hiking and bridle paths, and camping areas. I've found many silver coins, and colonial coins there, quite a few seated coins as well, along with large cents, and lots of Mercs. Just find your self a walking-hiking path and go to it! If you do go, it's a safe place...many joggers, horseback riders, etc. etc.

If you go, let me know how you make out! And GOOD LUCK!

Larry :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Larry. We arrived near Acadia Natl Park yesterday but will but we planned on stopping back in Mass on the way home. Lynn woods sounds like a great place and I'll most probably give it a go. I found a couple of mercs and a 60' silver Canadian quarter last Sunday in Middlesex county. I'd love to find at least one colonial era coin before leaving New England. HH Gary

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Gary S FL said:
Thanks Larry. We arrived near Acadia Natl Park yesterday but will but we planned on stopping back in Mass on the way home. Lynn woods sounds like a great place and I'll most probably give it a go. I found a couple of mercs and a 60' silver Canadian quarter last Sunday in Middlesex county. I'd love to find at least one colonial era coin before leaving New England. HH Gary

Good Luck, my friend! I hope you do well, wherever you decide to go! :thumbsup:

Larry

H

hessian raider

gary, did you try the rutland site? granted, it's a bit out your way, but I believe it would be a good one. think about it- a large group of people (2 long houses, 20'x120') confined to a relatively small area for an extended amount of time. there is a decent chance of finding a unique colonial relic, especially with your impressive line-up of detectors. just trying to send you home with something special to remember your trip to massachusetts. good luck to you, wherever you decide to go.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=13pt]Hessian Raider,

Do you live near this site? How do you know so much about it? Just curious to know because I've been researching this site. ???

H

hessian raider

I came across the rutland site while researching Burgoyne's withdrawl after the battle of Bennington. I've always had an interest in things historical, and I'm also an avid reader. research comes very naturally to me. one of my resources is google books, my personal favorite. select "full view", type in your keyword(s), and pick a likely candidate. I prefer 19th century historical texts. you can also do a keyword search within a book, saving you from having to go over a lot of irrelevant material. I hope this helps in your research. always remember- your search is only as good as your research. good hunting! P.S.- i live in brimfield,mass.

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
HI guys ~
If that area in Barre you speak of is part of the Rutland prison camp area here's an email I received from the DCR...... :(

I was forwarded your e-mail requesting information about metal detecting at the historic Rutland Prison Camp site.
The area you are describing is part of the DCR, Division of Water Supply Protection, Ware River Watershed. Metal detector use on state watershed lands is forbidden by regulation. Artifacts are considered a Commonwealth resource and are not allowed to be collected or disturbed.

I appreciate your officially requesting permission to use the metal detector but I must deny your request to use them on our watershed lands.
If you have additional questions I can usually be reached mornings at the number below or by e-mail.
Thanks for your interest in the Ware River Watershed and the historic Rutland Prison Camp site.

This was in responce to me trying to get permission to detect at the old Rutland Prison Camp in the Rutland, Barre, Hubbardston area.......

TheBigJustino

Greenie
Jul 27, 2015
Ayer, MA
Detector(s) used
-AT Pro w/ 8.5"x11" DD Coil
-Ace 250 w/ 12"x13" NEL Tornado
-Garrett Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across the rutland site while researching Burgoyne's withdrawl after the battle of Bennington. I've always had an interest in things historical, and I'm also an avid reader. research comes very naturally to me. one of my resources is google books, my personal favorite. select "full view", type in your keyword(s), and pick a likely candidate. I prefer 19th century historical texts. you can also do a keyword search within a book, saving you from having to go over a lot of irrelevant material. I hope this helps in your research. always remember- your search is only as good as your research. good hunting! P.S.- i live in brimfield,mass.

hessian raider, if you're still active can you shoot me a PM? I'm quite familiar with the Rutland area as well as a couple other towns that have some pretty good spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread