QUICK START A CAMPFIRE WITHOUT CHEMICALS, LIGHTER FLUID OR MATCHES

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D

No joke though, those antics can & will get a person killed.
If you can die from a minor scratch or wound out in the wilderness, what do you think jumping from trees & cliffs could possibly do to you?
And if the point to survival is to "survive" (i.e. STAY ALIVE)... any good survivalist would do all they can to take care of their person so they can get out alive and back to their loved ones.

Les put out a really interesting video as well called Off The Grid. He uprooted his family and moved out into the mountains, staying in a temporary shelter, while he completely renovated an old log cabin and turned it into his family's new home. He added solar panels, a wind turbine, and other amenities to make his family fully self-reliant & self-sufficient. Anyway, it's a neat video...

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
I use a magnesium metal match,
scrape a pile off of the magnesium into a small pile and set a cotton ball or some fluff off of a cattail top onto the pile so that it is half covered, then use the striker on the other side with the blade of your pocket knife to throw a spark into the pile.
poof, nice hot start.
don't have to worry if the thing gets wet either.
Have carried one for 30 years.
They cost about $8 at wally world.

Yup, leave it on your key ring. :icon_thumleft:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
Thus far, nobody has posted a method of quickstarting a fire faster than THIS guy!

Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Spooky;
It was a controlled exhibition at a University on campus, in order to show students the physical properties of liquid oxygen. Just relax, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

ringsandthings

Greenie
Feb 10, 2010
Brookings, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
If you are not in a pinch and just want to get a big one going. Take a roll of toilet paper and let it soak in some diesel fuel. It doesn't take much to soak a roll of toilet paper. That thing will burn like a candle for a long time. No kindling needed. Just criss cross some pallets and you are good to go. Or you can mess with some twigs and wax.

Maryland Searcher 2

Feb 8, 2009
Baltimore County Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Another trick I was taught by my ex-father-in-law (yes, we are still buddies, LOL!).
He told me to carry cotton balls rolled in petroleum jelly and keep them in a 35mm plastic film canister with snap top. When you are ready to build a fire, pull apart one or two to expose the dryer cotton iside and put your tinder on top and buld your teepee from there.
Use your fire source (military MRE matches work well) to light the cotton and it will burn hot, long and start your fire almost immediately.

I have used it a few times and it works well. Even used it to light my grill when my ignitor went up GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

AND its cholesterol free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing9:

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some very good idea's and advise in this post. thanks much, take care and be safe out there. :) :) ron

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
An old shoe polish can with a small hole punched in the top. this to make char cloth. place cotton or linnen inside and chuck it into a campfire . when the fire jet quits shooting out the top hole ,you are done. Do not usecotton blend T shirts ,it makes a mess . the can is sealed and can be carried in your possible bag. Also a five minute road flare works well and cut one open and use a chunk of the insides in a fire to start or bring a burnt out fire back to life.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonesomebob said:
An old shoe polish can with a small hole punched in the top. this to make char cloth. place cotton or linnen inside and chuck it into a campfire . when the fire jet quits shooting out the top hole ,you are done. Do not usecotton blend T shirts ,it makes a mess . the can is sealed and can be carried in your possible bag. Also a five minute road flare works well and cut one open and use a chunk of the insides in a fire to start or bring a burnt out fire back to life.

Good advice Bob :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
heck never forget the good old simple trusty magnifying glass -- I got a lil pocket model

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
heck never forget the good old simple trusty magnifying glass -- I got a lil pocket model

I always have my jewelers loupe with me anyway for close up examination of rocks and minerals.
Plus I have used it on occasion for starting a fire :icon_thumleft:
The high power really concentrates the sunlight!

loupe.jpg

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodyguy, great idea and compact also. some pretty good idea's that you guys are posting.
thanks much and take care. ron :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Cut up pieces of old rubber inner tube, nothing gets a fire started quicker in wet conditions...east to pack and keep dry,

SS

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Silver Searcher said:
:thumbsup:

Cut up pieces of old rubber inner tube, nothing gets a fire started quicker in wet conditions...east to pack and keep dry,

SS

Melt wax into egg carton cups, cut them apart and always keep a few in your pack.
Not just a good survival tool, the perfect fire starter for wet conditions.
these things will start and burn even when wet. They burn for a long time too.

S

stefen

How about using an electruc charcoal lighter....and one e x t r e m e l y l o n g e x t e n s i o n c o r d....

Its quick, and uses no chemicals, lighter fluid or matches :thumbsup:

Attachments

• ELECTRIC CHARCOAL LIGHTER.jpg
    ELECTRIC CHARCOAL LIGHTER.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,200

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
8 pack of disposable butane lighters for $1.97 at Wally World. Keep one or two in your glove box, pocket, fanny pack, tackle box, ect. Beats waterproof matches, flint and steel, magnesium strikers, steel wool and batteries, etc., although the cotton balls, candles, etc. are good for wet conditions.

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
I'm surprised someone hasn't posted this yet...you can start a fire with the reflector from a flashlight. Just place the tinder where the bulb would go and point it toward the sun. (Don't work very good at night though. lol)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread