Protecting the hand grip on your detector

Pete in MI

Jan 24, 2007
Houghton Lake, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer, Garrett ACE 350, Whites Bullseye II pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the places the most dirt and grime builds up is on the hand grip of the detector. You wear gloves to keep dirt off your hands and keep you hands safe but few protect the thing they hold on to...the hand grip. They are usually not easy to clean once they are filthy and if you ever decide (and hope you never have to) sell your detector a dirty hand grip with years of filth make the buyer think that little if any care has been taken care of the detector...so who wants to buy that?

A neat little trick is to go to a sporting store or to a place that sell horse and other animal items and get some Vet Wrap. This is similar to an ACE bandage except the Vet Wrap sticks to itself. Using the Vet Wrap you can keep the hand grip of your detector as nice as it was the day you bought it (assuming it is still as clean as it was when you bought it). The Vet Wrap clings to itself and is water resistant and when it gets filthy, just unwrap, throw it away and put on a new covering over the hand grip with the Vet Wrap.

You will find too that it has other uses as well. You can wrap the cord tightly to the shaft to keep the cable from getting caught on weeds and small shrubs, etc. Will also cut down on erratic sounds caused by the cable slapping loosely around the shaft. You can use the Vet Wrap as well as on the handle of your digger and handheld pinpointer. Protect you investments from dirt and filth. The Vet Wrap comes in many colors so if you and 10 others have the same detector and are in a club hunt you can pick yours out very easily...even if others use the Vet Wrap too yours might be a different color than all the others. It also is good for improving your grip on the detector. HH.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete in MI said:
One of the places the most dirt and grime builds up is on the hand grip of the detector. You wear gloves to keep dirt off your hands and keep you hands safe but few protect the thing they hold on to...the hand grip. They are usually not easy to clean once they are filthy and if you ever decide (and hope you never have to) sell your detector a dirty hand grip with years of filth make the buyer think that little if any care has been taken care of the detector...so who wants to buy that?

A neat little trick is to go to a sporting store or to a place that sell horse and other animal items and get some Vet Wrap. This is similar to an ACE bandage except the Vet Wrap sticks to itself. Using the Vet Wrap you can keep the hand grip of your detector as nice as it was the day you bought it (assuming it is still as clean as it was when you bought it). The Vet Wrap clings to itself and is water resistant and when it gets filthy, just unwrap, throw it away and put on a new covering over the hand grip with the Vet Wrap.

You will find too that it has other uses as well. You can wrap the cord tightly to the shaft to keep the cable from getting caught on weeds and small shrubs, etc. Will also cut down on erratic sounds caused by the cable slapping loosely around the shaft. You can use the Vet Wrap as well as on the handle of your digger and handheld pinpointer. Protect you investments from dirt and filth. The Vet Wrap comes in many colors so if you and 10 others have the same detector and are in a club hunt you can pick yours out very easily...even if others use the Vet Wrap too yours might be a different color than all the others. It also is good for improving your grip on the detector. HH.

Thanks Pete, geat idea, "seat covers" for the hand grip.....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds like the tape our volleyball team uses.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can also use the same wrap I use on my fishing rods,,,,, Tennis racket wrap. One roll from Wal-Mart will do 4 to 5 metal detector grips.

stetson

Apr 14, 2010
Auburn,California
I used your tip. It works great :icon_thumleft:
I always have vet wrap on hand, I have 4 horses.
unlike a lot of elastic wraps the vet wrap is very thin and sticks to its self great.

LCrebel

Jun 27, 2011
I'm kinda a neat freak when it comes to my detectors. I clean them on a regular basis. I mean they do cost a pretty penny. Its just like a good qaulity tool. I buy and use the best tools For my line of work (aviation) so i have to have good qaulity tools to do my job. The same goes for my detectors. I have never had a problem trading or selling any of my machines because they are very clean! I have a tejon that is going on 8+yrs maybe little more it looks new!
Anyway I wrap all my hand grips with leather and baseball stitch them with leather lace. Kinda like a archery bow grip. Looks nice and holds up to the nastiest muddy relic hunting! You can buy leather pieces at any hobby store . Keeps the dirt out of the foam grip and adds some attitude! Lol.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL idea ;) Thanks

I also like my MD clean and tidy . LOL

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the VetWrap for a couple of years now, works Great and is not expensive.

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a great tip!! Thank you for Sharing

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great idea, going to put it to use. Thanks for the Tip!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Idea! I have some of that bondage tape upstairs that only sticks to its self. I am going to wrap my MD right now >evil grin<

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stretch wrap is working great. what an excellent idea. thanks again for the tip!!!!

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How do you keep it from tearing the foam grip when you take it off

its not tape, it's just called grip tape. There is no sticky part, after wrapping you tape it down with the piece of tape it comes with

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread