Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wouldn't the coin give a larger signal when shallow and a smaller signal when deep?

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug up a beer can last night. Ping in the 80's I was sure it was coin! I learned. After reading this though, it did pin point a large spot. Always something new to learn, thanks for the tips.

DirtLurker

Greenie
Jun 19, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Sovereign XS2 pro, White's PRL-1 and Classic III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the other day I dug an old crushed can. It was bang on for deep silver and I got excited cuz nice consistent tone on etrac. 12-47, 12-48 but now that I think about it... It did pinpoint kinda funny... I just knew it was an SLQ or even better! After about a foot down I realized... "probably a can" :laughing7: I'm glad it was easy digging in soft sand because I measured it @ 18 inches deep and it was right next to a giant cottonwood tree in an old park. I wondered briefly if someone buried that can on purpose but who would be that mean? :dontknow:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just the other day I dug an old crushed can. It was bang on for deep silver and I got excited cuz nice consistent tone on etrac. 12-47, 12-48 but now that I think about it... It did pinpoint kinda funny... I just knew it was an SLQ or even better! After about a foot down I realized... "probably a can" :laughing7: I'm glad it was easy digging in soft sand because I measured it @ 18 inches deep and it was right next to a giant cottonwood tree in an old park. I wondered briefly if someone buried that can on purpose but who would be that mean? :dontknow:
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................If you get a loud signal and you raise your coil and still get a loud signal at a foot or higher off the ground it is not a coin! I like using a metal detector with a true all metal mode....usually a can signal or large iron will give a signal that is wider than the width of your search coil ! I doubt that the can found at 18 inches was buried on purpose....many public sites have a lot of fill dirt that has been placed over the site over the years! I have been to some places where the fill dirt is at the 2 foot level and deeper!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread