Would Like to get Started

Wendy

Sep 7, 2010
My granddaughter have been following your site quietly. Seeing all the fun and adventures you all have had. We decided that we would like to give it a try this year. I am 65 and she is 12, so we should make a wonderful team. We have a few hundred dollars saved and would like some directions on what kind of detector we should look at. We live in the Berkshire Mountains of Massachsetts. Any comments would be appreciated.

Wendy and Breanna :dontknow: :help:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wendy and Breanna,

I've had good luck dealing with Kellyco, fast shipping, great customer service when I purchased my pinpointer from them, I got the shipping info the day it was at my door! fast! FLA to my door in Pa in like 3.5days!... - they are an advertiser on this site- and have really good deals in the used, and scratch and dented area- I know I'm getting my next detector from them for sure! :headbang: hint here if you don't want to spend a lot, you can get a used or remanufactured model that might be $600 retail for $250. So bargain shop if your ok with it- and most scratch and dent stuff appears to have a factory warranty.

I can say that for my first detector I picked up a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw2 from a local sporting goods place (over priced- I could have gotten a Garrett 250 for what I paid for it!), and have been learning about it as it is finally starting to warm up here in North Eastern Pa .. I would have got a Garrett or Whites knowing what I know now- just because the better brand name detectors have some better features- like being able to pin point on a trigger- I can't do that on my BH- it's a good machine and does work so I can't knock it too bad. The best advice I've got so far is learn what ever you do buy, listen to what the machine is telling you- and at first dig everything that makes a noise so you will learn what that machine is saying to you! (also dig your own yard first so you learn how to do it small, and not damage your hunting areas!)

anyhow Good luck- and HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wendy said:
My granddaughter have been following your site quietly. Seeing all the fun and adventures you all have had. We decided that we would like to give it a try this year. I am 65 and she is 12, so we should make a wonderful team. We have a few hundred dollars saved and would like some directions on what kind of detector we should look at. We live in the Berkshire Mountains of Massachsetts. Any comments would be appreciated.

Wendy and Breanna :dontknow: :help:

Hello Wendy,

Welcome to Treasurenet, best treasure website on the net!

If your wanting to start out and your investment is only a couple hundred then new I would check out the the Ace 250. If you have a little more then you can check out some of the used detectors on the "for sale" forum here, just be sure to check with us here to be sure it is something you can handle, or invest a little more and get maybe the ace 350.

I am afraid if you go much higher in models the features may overwhelm you and you will get frustrated and quit. Check the forum for Mass in the states section and see if there is someone close to you or a club close to you, that way you could possibly hunt with someone when you first start out...

Good luck and let us know if you need anything...

Marty

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a Garrett Ace 250 or even the Ace 150 and learn it and have fun.

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Me personally. I would look into the tesoro brand they carry a lifetime warranty only brand that does that. The cibola will make a good start off machine it dosnt have all the visual Id's it's a beep and dig detector it does have your discrimination. And if and when you want to upgrade tesoro has some really great detectors and you get a lot of bang for you buck.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience I bought a bounty hunter quiksilver about 2 years ago for like 120 dollars and was a simple machine to figure out, doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the higher end machines but got me going and had alot of fun. I would buy a machine with a visual display and as little features as possible to get going unless you have alot of patience and willing to struggle a bit. Also my advice is buy a pinpointer so once you start digging you have a good guide to the prize your after even if it is a pulltab. You can always upgrade and let the 12 year old run wild with the older machine if you want, but its not to fun to have a 500 dollar machine and be discouraged. good luck with whatever you buy it sure can be alot of fun..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread