For a beginner detector, what would be the top three mistakes?

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Dig very carefully, I see alot of people in videos going crazy with the spades and shovels scraping at the entire hole. Keep in mind if it is a very valuable artifact, you can ruin it by not digging it properly. You never know whats down there.
(sorry, just 1 "what not to do")

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you a few more than 3 lol

Do read your manual
Do read your manual again
Do read your manual once again.
Do go in your back yard with your detector and read your manual again.
Do cut plugs. Don't dig "holes"
Do sweep all the dirt you can back into your plug hole.
Do replace your plug.
Do your best to leave the area looking as if you were never there.
Do fill in your holes if you do dig one. Holes are ok to dig on the beach or in the woods where you don't have to worry about digging a hole, but ALWAYS fill in your holes.
Do swing parallel to the ground.
Do swing slow.
Do dig every target because I've had rings come up as pulltabs, nickles, quarters and even pennies. I've also had deeper signals change when you get some dirt out of the plug hole.
Do take your findings even if they are trash. Just throw the trash away.
Do look at old maps of the areas you want to hunt.
Do show land owners what you find if you get permission to hunt on their land. It's not worth it to hide the "good" stuff. You may lose out on a hunting spot if you do.
Do offer said land owner their pick of the findings and don't be upset if they take the "good" stuff.
Do be happy that you could find it in the first place.
Do try to return any items that you can if possible. You'll find that returning a ring will make you feel a LOT better than keeping or selling it.
Do get a sturdy digging tool. I use a small 30" shovel with a 6" head and I love it. I paid $7 for it at home depot.
And the most important Do there is.... DO POST YOUR FINDINGS ON TNET! :thumbsup:

Don't wear steel toe boots. You'll be chasing signals all day.
Don't arch your swing.
Don't get frustrated. You will most likely get frustrated at times. Swing through it and remember that you can't find "good" stuff every time you hunt.
Don't just wander onto people's land withought asking permission.
Don't let idiots get to you. You will have kids reaching in your holes, they are just either curious excited kids. You will have people harassing you about digging in the parks or taunting you about beeing poor. They are just idiots that don't have a clue. Ignore it and keep on swinging.
Don't forget that it's a hoby and not a job. Have fun with it.

HH

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Sean in NH said...Although I will add one...Do keep a journal of finds. If you are in this hobby for many years it starts getting hard remembering where and when everything was found.

NJ

nickeltabs

Feb 2, 2013
West Michigan, Holland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
1 Garrett Pro Pointer
1 Lesche Trowel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nor just for a beginner detectorist, but good advise for all

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say:
1. Too much discrimination or not digging enough targets.
2. Lack of persistence when getting disappointed.
3. Poor pinpointing.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My three tips?

1) Practice
2) Practice some more
3) Paractice on good and bad targets until you understand every sound your machine makes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do read your manual
Do replace your plug.
Do fill in your holes if you do dig one. Holes are ok to dig on the beach or in the woods where you don't have to worry about digging a hole, but ALWAYS fill in your holes.
Do swing slow.
Do dig every target because I've had rings come up as pulltabs, nickles, quarters and even pennies. I've also had deeper signals change when you get some dirt out of the plug hole.
Do show land owners what you find if you get permission to hunt on their land. It's not worth it to hide the "good" stuff. You may lose out on a hunting spot if you do.
Do offer said land owner their pick of the findings and don't be upset if they take the "good" stuff.
Do try to return any items that you can if possible. You'll find that returning a ring will make you feel a LOT better than keeping or selling it.
Do get a sturdy digging tool. I use a small 30" shovel with a 6" head and I love it. I paid $7 for it at home depot.
And the most important Do there is.... DO POST YOUR FINDINGS ON TNET! :thumbsup:

Don't arch your swing.
Don't get frustrated. You will most likely get frustrated at times. Swing through it and remember that you can't find "good" stuff every time you hunt.
Don't let idiots get to you. You will have kids reaching in your holes, they are just either curious excited kids. You will have people harassing you about digging in the parks or taunting you about beeing poor. They are just idiots that don't have a clue. Ignore it and keep on swinging.

HH

I just want to say this was a GREAT post Sean! :notworthy:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing a bunch of research and have learned a bunch in the past couple of weeks...but starving for more!!
To help out a new hunter, what would be you top three list of "don't do this"?
I'm speaking of hunting the usual areas like beaches, playgrounds, etc.
Thanks!

Dont go when the site is busy. More people around just creates more problems.

Dont show your valuable finds to onlookers or holler BOOM BABY! when you find something good. Folks will claim they lost it or else rob you.
Don't tell them how much your detector cost either. "It's borrowed from a friend"

Dont think the hole is empty after the first target is found. Always check the hole again with your detector for other targets.

Dont trust the display on the detector. More rings are found that show up as pulltabs than you can imagine. Plus a valuable target can be masked if it's sitting next to junk.

Dont throw your junk finds back in the hole. Keep all your junk finds in a separate pouch until you dispose of them properly.
No use digging them back up next week. Plus if someone wants to see what you've found show them the junk.

GG~

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I forget where I found stuff last week :-(

What Sean in NH said...Although I will add one...Do keep a journal of finds. If you are in this hobby for many years it starts getting hard remembering where and when everything was found.

NJ

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Do read your manual
Do replace your plug.
Do swing slow.

Don't arch your swing.

HH
Great post Sean, but I would add a DON"T......don't buy a more advanced detector than you can use. Far too many newbies buy an expensive, complicated etector, and then end up selling it, at a big loss, because they don't know how to use it, or even what the terms in the instructions mean.
Jim

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
I really appreciate the advice. I got my detector over Thanksgiving and since have had a child and done a lot of research but not much digging. So thank you all!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get discouraged. One thing that cannot be explained very well is the amount of time and practice that is really involved in understanding the sounds the machine makes. Most people think that they are just listening for it to beep and don't understand why they are not finding good things. Especially low end machines have lots of falsing and it takes practice to understand what a good signal is.

As you get more experience you will get what its telling you. I hunt lots of parks because it is a challenge, I may only get a wheat back every now and again but sometimes its good silver. Those places keep me primed for when I get the chance at a great spot. I have seen places with hoards of treasure hunters and after about a week they dwindle to nothing then the good finds come for those who wait till the surface trash has been cleared.

Sure there is beginners luck but consistency only comes with time.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread would make an excellent new forum- 'Detecting 101, Before you swing'.:dontknow:

Great thread with 'must know' info. for all.

HH yelnif

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
#1 Mistake.... buying the detector.

Now you'll want a pin pointer... in six months the detector you bought isn't good enough so you tell your wife your going to buy her one too so the two of you can spend more time together (Now your a compulsive liar)
You score your first big find and seriously consider quitting your job and MD'ing for a living...... After that yard work doesn't get done but that's fine because most of the grass is dead from your plug holes and from there it just spirals further out of control but that's water under the bridge now. Enjoy your new hobby/addiction.

:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions