maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this subject has been discussed a thousand times, so sorry if this is boring.

Besides metal detecting, I also enjoy auctions, and there is usually a few items that are supposed to be silver, or could be silver. The problem is that there is no way I can determine if the object is silver or something else. The auctions that I go to, are not letting you scratch or use any chemicals to do any test. The closest I get to testing, is using a magnet. Weighing doesent help, since I have no way of knowing what the object would weigh if it were silver. I have run into lots of fake Chinese silver dollars, but the magnet works well on those. Some items are marked sterling, but others are just stamped with unknown marks. Most items are Asian or British, and could be anything from coins, jewelry to religious items.

So, is there any non-destructive way to determine if the object is silver, and also in a short amount of time.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, is there any non-destructive way to determine if the object is silver, and also in a short amount of time.

One way involves the fact that silver is one of, if not THE, most conductive of all metals, both electrically and thermally. If you have a spoon, for example, marked sterling, hold the handle and touch the bowl to an ice cube or a small flame. In a VERY FEW seconds the handle will be either very cold or very hot, depending on what you touched. You can hold a stainless or plated spoon in the other hand for comparison. The difference is astounding! This is an almost foolproof indicator.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't a magnet mess up the inner workings of a watch?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't a magnet mess up the inner workings of a watch?

No, it will only STOP the watch while the magnet is near it. It won't cause any permanent damage.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One way involves the fact that silver is one of, if not THE, most conductive of all metals, both electrically and thermally. If you have a spoon, for example, marked sterling, hold the handle and touch the bowl to an ice cube or a small flame. In a VERY FEW seconds the handle will be either very cold or very hot, depending on what you touched. You can hold a stainless or plated spoon in the other hand for comparison. The difference is astounding! This is an almost foolproof indicator.
Very good advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions