To detect in all-metal mode? What are the benefits?

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the "Like" Diggit :icon_thumleft:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]To detect in all-metal mode? What are the benefits?[/h]
You get a lot more action! :laughing7:

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very true.... keeps you fit also :-)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the article but I can tell you from experience that while you may dig more trash targets in all metal mode you will also dig more treasure. All metal mode will also increase your depth sensitivity.

I have embarrassed more than one high dollar detector user with my $100 Bounty Hunter while on a hunt :laughing7:

GG~

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It really all depends on the location your are working, and the maount of trash as well as the mineral content of the soil. I always use the leat amount od discrimination that I can for the situation. In most ballparks, schools and playgrounds, you will need to use enough discrimination to rid yourself of the pesky pulltabs. In some less used areas, where there is less trash you can drop the discrimination and get better depth. If you want to work those trashy grounds and find what others have missed, run no discrimination and when you detect a target, flip to discrimination to determine the content of the metal. Although not 100% accurate, Id detectors will generally give you a good indication of your find. Most vlf detectors don't like black sand beaches or high mineral content soils so you will have to run excessive discrimination to hunt these. Good Luck. rockhound

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Been hunting like this since 2008, All Metal, Remote Disc Button..Minelab Excalibur. at the beach you get to know the target lane by locating all targets. Hotter detecting field of the coil....Excellent for cherry picken...cover more area on a fresh drop beach.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

I wrote an article for the "Temerity" magazine for May 2012 on detecting in all-metal mode. Check out my article or download the PDF at the following link: Website Documents - Peter Gill's Virtual Home

While you are there, check out my other articles and the rest of the site.... visit the online store from the main menu....

I enjoyed your article Peter! All Metal hunting is a way of life as a gold nugget hunter. With every machine that offers an All metal mode, you will get added depth over Discrimination modes, and for me that is the deciding factor.

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that with the Teknetics Delta 4000 my depth is controlled by the sensitivity setting only. Discrimination mode only selects on what numbers the detector will emit a tone on...In all metal mode the numbers are the same as is the sensitivity, only the audio now is a variable tone.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually always hunt under all metal mode, its a great motivation to dig everything that beeps. and sometimes, it's just worth it.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find myself using all metal more often of late. I find more targets faster. My Teknetics Omega 8000 gives
the target ID in all-metal, and the depth in pinpoint mode, and with increased depth over disc.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on old home sites I detect in metal/ glass mode to find old bottles as well

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great article. Being new to detecting I have been hunting a property that has been occupied since the 1700s and there is just a ton of stuff in the ground.. mainly farm relics so I just dig everything since my readings are all over the place with my AT Pro. I am sure this is an absolute noob question but is All Metal Mode simply just having all iron descrim off?

Jenks Oklahoma

Oct 3, 2015
Jenks Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the article but I can tell you from experience that while you may dig more trash targets in all metal mode you will also dig more treasure. All metal mode will also increase your depth sensitivity.

I have embarrassed more than one high dollar detector user with my $100 Bounty Hunter while on a hunt :laughing7:

GG~

First time I've read about anyone using a cheaper metal detector, I just received my first MD (cheaper model) and reading post about the expensive detectors is discouraging. I'm going to master my MD and save for a better model, hope I don't miss any treasure with my beginner MD. Sharp Shooter II was about $250 new.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time I've read about anyone using a cheaper metal detector, I just received my first MD (cheaper model) and reading post about the expensive detectors is discouraging. I'm going to master my MD and save for a better model, hope I don't miss any treasure with my beginner MD. Sharp Shooter II was about $250 new.

You touched on a very important point "I'm going to master my MD". With that attitude, you will be buying that better model sooner than later. It doesn't matter whether you spend $250 or $2500 if you don't learn your machine. More time spent learning = more treasure in your finds bag, plain and simple.

sfox54

Jan 5, 2014
erie pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

a coil change is often like a new detector!!!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we are on the subject of more depth you also want more sensitivity!
Make sure your coil wire runs straight up the lower non metallic rod before you coil it around.

There is metal inside the cable. The coil can pick up the wires and the metal mesh shielding when the sensitivity is cranked up. That's why the less cable near the coil the more you can increase the sensitivity with out feedback. (try it and see) Also make sure the wire is fastened securely so as not to flop around which also causes sensitivity problems.

GG~

Last edited:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really all depends on the location your are working, and the maount of trash as well as the mineral content of the soil. I always use the leat amount od discrimination that I can for the situation. In most ballparks, schools and playgrounds, you will need to use enough discrimination to rid yourself of the pesky pulltabs. In some less used areas, where there is less trash you can drop the discrimination and get better depth. If you want to work those trashy grounds and find what others have missed, run no discrimination and when you detect a target, flip to discrimination to determine the content of the metal. Although not 100% accurate, Id detectors will generally give you a good indication of your find. Most vlf detectors don't like black sand beaches or high mineral content soils so you will have to run excessive discrimination to hunt these. Good Luck. rockhound
.....................The problem with discriminating out all of the pull tabs is that some of those pull tabs are actually gold rings! I do not advocate digging all of the pulltabs all of the time! I usually set a limit like digging 100 pull tabs if no good targets are found then i start using some higher discrimination! I do not like to notch out the pull tabs! I like to use a detector that has a TID meter and on good sounding targets I will size them up using the all metal mode and and using other tricks and then I determine whether to dig the target or not! If in doubt? Dig it!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting in all metal mode has the benefit of allowing you to hear deeper targets that you may not normally hear in disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions