When to stop

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Hi I'm new here. I've always loved finding things mostly just from walking and looking and mostly stone artifacts from fields. About 20 years ago I found a site where some native -Americans lived. there were a few whole heads on the ground, tons of shard and flint boulders alone the limestone cliff face. I knew where I was and I gut anyway. It wasn't until about a year later that I started feeling guilty. I called a local university and reported the site.

OP
OP
nickcoin

nickcoin

Feb 10, 2013
Oops accidentally hit send. So my question is this. How do you decide when to stop? This site might not be for me because I've already ripped on a member for digging 8-10 thousand BC stone tools that was, in his estimation, probably in a leather pouch. It was under lead shot. The pieces are beautiful and should be in the hands is a local tribe or museum. It's only right, right? Does anyone on this site stop. Have any of you found something that you know is historically important and said to yourself. I cannot keep this for just me. As you can tell I'm struggling with this because I love the hunt. There are few greater pure thrills. I found a bird point a couple of days ago in a plowed field. Make my day! Scott.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new was going to be learned from that cache of points. They were about six hundred years old and one of several caches found in the same area. That area has also been thoroughly documented by state archaeologists and they have shelf after shelf filled with those type points and many more locked up in storage. He made some great new memories with his father and has beautiful artifacts that will always remind him of that.

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dig into a burial site...STOP!!. you find an old village site with broken shards and a few points and tools.....
go for it.jmho

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found what seemed a polishing stone,in a creek near my wood cabin. We knew it was Abenakis territory long ago. We went to the Abenakis museum to meet someone who would know. The lady archeologist confirmed the piece was native, so we gave it to the museum for display and we had no intention of keeping it. Agreed with Gunrunner61, if you think it's a burial site, leave it alone. jmho too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread