Photo tips for found items

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could use some advice on how to get good quality photos of small not shiny found items.

What camera do you use? What background? Best way to light the object?

I see a lot of posts "what is this?" And all I can see is a chunky, dark mass.

When I find something cool, I want to be able to post a good photo of it on the board.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no knowledge about cameras. I just usually use my iPhone to take a picture.
I use the "Mag. Light" app. It adds a digital magnifier to the phone camera so you can take pictures of small items. I also use the app in the field sometimes when I can't read a date on a coin.

I suggest laying a ruler next to an item when you take a picture of it. That way people will know the actual size of the item to help them identify it.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Nikon Coolpix S30 which costs about $50 and is water and shock resist. So easy to use, for small objects
use close-up mode and get good light on the object ( flash not used in this mode) and get close as an inch away but
differs press halfway to autofocus then snap the pic. comes out great almost every time. Use low pixel res. so the files
upload fast. Well this is what I do and it works very well. good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread