gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never hunt without headphones, never have for over forty years. Most experienced hunters use them religiously although there are always exceptions. The main reason is that there will be faint signals from smaller or deeper objects that will be missed without using the 'phones. I also don't like to attract attention to myself more than necessary hunting places like parks or school yards, and a beeping machine attracts more attention than one that doesn't. I also consider it being considerate to others in public places who may not appreciate hearing my machine beeping while they are reading or just sitting back enjoying the day. There are headphones available with only one ear covered, but when I am hunting I feel my concentration level is higher when outside noise is limited.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same as gunsil, and strongly suggest using them around other people, as for the most part any unnesessary attention one brings to oneself, and the hobby as a whole is usually not good. Not to mention a real good way to get yourself "asked to leave"
I think to not use them in public places is quite inconsiderate of others. A lot of machines squeal quite loud when using pin point button, I can assure you no one wants to hear that, not even your hunting partner. I know I don't want to hear it, and that's being a hunter myself.

I use rather light weight headphones with one ear covered, and one not, so I can hear other stuff, my buddy or anything else. As well in warm weather you can switch ears when one gets warm.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you will miss a lot of deep targets without headphones. I understand what you're saying though, sometimes it's nice to hear whats going on around you. I don't like people creeping up on me.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I started detecting I didn't like the idea of using headphones. Than people started staring at me, probably due to the annoying sound of the detector, many started walking to me and asking me what I have found. Than I started to wear headphones. First I don't bother any more, second they don't bother me... They see me with headphones and most likely think I can't hear them, sometimes I can hear them but I just pretend I don't. Third and most important, I can hear every single little difference in a signal, and that helps me a lot in deciding to dig or walk...

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES!..for all those reasons stated above.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine that anyone not familiar with a metal detector, thinks that when it goes Beep, there is a coin or jewelry there, so they would stop to see what you dig up. Also, its like a magnet, drawing all the attention to you. I always use headphones, but I keep an eye out around me. Maybe with headphones, I am actually more aware of whats going on, since I can hear all the signals, so that leaves my eyes free to scan the surroundings.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I bought a set of Killer Bees, they only have one earcup, you can hear your detector, no one else can, and you can hear what is going on around you, also nice to have when using your pinpointer, don`t have to keep uncovering an ear all the time.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Not in my neck of the woods. I'd never put myself at the disadvantage of not being aware of my surroundings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread