Noobe question - need advice

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am a brand new to treasure hunting.

To "get my feet wet" :tongue3: I am thinking about searching near where I live.
I live in Winnsboro, Texas.

To find a "treasure" near me, I looked on the Legends of America web site for Texas.
I found a legend that is about 30 minutes from my house.
It is described here: Texas Treasure Tales - Mexican Gold in Little Cypress Creek

So, how can I efficiently search a river for silver coins that are covered under mud in a river?

I read some posts:icon_scratch:, but I really do need some advice from seasoned hunters.
I am open to any detector, as I don't have anything now (except the desire to "get out there")

Thanks in advance

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings from a neighbor (Cumby, TX), and welcome to Tnet. The Garrett AT PRO can be used up to ten feet underwater, but being new, there's plenty of hunting to do while getting your feet wet, without getting wet. Happy hunting....Ken. (If I can help, let me know)

OP
OP
B

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Splendid advice...I like the price on Amazon for a Garrett AT PRO, too. Thank you, Ken!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not having taken a poll I would guess that most began with a more modest goal than a cache or treasure.

learn to use what ever you get on small items at first

OP
OP
B

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, agree, crawl before you walk....so you can learn.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the advice. Finding the treasure may be a long shot, but finding silver coins here and there is doable. I would concentrate on learning the equipment first and getting really good at it. Essentially, build the mindset of a treasure hunter and then venture out for lost caches. You might even pick up a few more stories to chase before long.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Use your local library, search old newspapers, books, even talk to old folks, to find swimming holes. You will be rewarded with silver coins and even gold rings. What ever machine you choose, stick with it and learn what its telling you. Best of luck. Kevin

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....If you goal is to look for caches?....Then you need to get a metal detector with a large coil or get a two-box! If you determine that the gold coins are buried in an iron box then you need to hunt in the all metal mode!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread