Invisible gold

goldhog55

Dec 6, 2012
Have quite a bit of classified concentrates, probably waisted half, 5 clasificatations 1/4 ,#12, 30 mesh, 50 mesh, 100 mesh, and 200 mesh. It's impossible to do ANY thing that involves WATER because the water is saturated completely, so what option does the small time prospector have to separate the minerals from the blond and black sands, if your full of CRAP keep it to yourself,I've spent to much time, if you know share it. Seems to be a lot of jokers over serious questions. Maybe one day you'll need info. I do appreciate your help
THANKS !!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not full of crap first off...:laughing7:!!! What do you mean the water is "saturated"? You say "concentrates" from what? gold that small is going to be extremely difficult to recover without water. I do have a few question so I can try any help. Where did you et you material? Known gold bearing area?...What make you believe there is gold in it Gold it? Gold gets more difficult to catch once your below 70 mesh. Using sluices etc. You have to start tuning and dealing with flow and feed rates. A pan is gonna be most effective recovery size wise but slow. Blue bowls and water tables will capture very fine gold and faster than a pan you may need to run material twice.
You have invisible gold.....the kind that is most difficult to capture with gravity separation....especially because you can't see it to know how well your doing....That's why theres leaching and mercury......
If you have confirmed with an assay that your material does hold values be it microscopic I wouldn't bother with so much classification. I would do a rough pass then classify to 100 mesh right away. You are going to have to decide if its worth it.
Hope this helps a little

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldhog55

goldhog55

Dec 6, 2012
Glad you got the humor cause this IS driving me crazy,have built and experimented to no end, made numerous blue bowls, ( retired but top notch craftsman )I impress myself hah! miller tables, rock crushers,sluice boxes, on & on
Tried crucible but ran out of accetaline, getting more today and am giving that avenue my first priority, takes water at least 10min to settle enough other wise checking excess water in a pan and it's freaky, I've dumped so much water, and no I've no idea about an assay, I'd love to have someone look at it but WHO??
Been to our rock shop and they could care less, was thinking of the college and talk to a geologist or ?? For info but AGAIN who ??and how?
Even tried white paper and blowing...... Got my buckets in .. 1week in Needles and area, .... 5days in Oatman AZ area,... Lake havasu area,... Two different weeks and areas in and around quartzite,AZ,.. Phoenix area and superstition mountain for about 1 week and places along the Colorado River. Some of my riches is from a bucket I found on my patio, really I idea where it's from, think 6 or 7 years ago ??? Seems best I come up with is the way the big boys do it with chemicals, or try some Mercury??? Thanks for listening, any wisdom or even folklore is welcome

If it's not gold I'm lost ???

OP
OP
goldhog55

goldhog55

Dec 6, 2012
Got more accetaline today and did 1 crucible, still not hot enough, but what rolled out was about 10 grams of pure gold and I just did a small amount,think smelting would be easiest not cheapest,need a GOOD torch. Suggestions? Thanks for your time...

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know much about smelting gold, but father and grandfather were both plumbing contractors. And have done my fair share of soldering. If you are using small torch that screws on small bottle. Use mapp gas ( burns much hotter then accetaline). Or go to plumbing supply house. They will have better touch with many different tips that will burn at different temps. And you can get a bigger tank that can be refilled. Hope this helps good luck

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoops I meant to say mapp gas burns hotter than propain. I think that mapp gas and accetaline burn about the same, but I doubt you'll find accetaline in a small bottle. But remember adding oxygen to the equation will make any fire burn hotter.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
A water/miller table , set up and working properly , is probably the most effective tool for finding the hidden gold in finely classified concentrates. Run the concentrates through the table 2 or 3 times to be sure you didnt miss any. Ive run concentrates on mine so small it was basically dust , there is a way to set up your water recirculation system so that the particles have a chance to settle and your water isnt cloudy. Smelting can be productive , but only if your concentrates contain a LOT of gold , otherwise ....diminishing returns.....you will spend a lot more on supplies than you wind up with in return. There are plans available on the internet to make cheap but effective smelting furnaces. I made one myself out of a small metal trashcan , refractory cement , and a hair dryer.....and it burns charcoal. If I remember correctly it cost me around $50 to make it , though a propane version would be more. It dosent get as hot as a propane model but it does get hot enough to smelt concentrates if that is your chosen method. If you are looking to get more heat then a furnace/kiln/foundry of some type is the way to go. Even if you stick with basically what you are doing now , if you can adapt it to a refractory enclosure made of refractory panels or refractory bricks you will retain more of your heat and get a hotter melt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread