Is lead a good practice sample to memorize the tone of gold jewelry ?

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, lead has a totally different tone.... Find some can pull tabs and listen to them, that's the tone you're looking for.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold jewelry has such a vast range of karats, mixed metals, sizes and shaped that there is NOTHING you can use to "mimic" a gold item. They respond everywhere from the very lowest of you conductive range (like a tiny piece of foil) all the way up to a copper cent. If you want gold, you have dig everything that isnt iron

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe it depends on the machine
not the same on mine

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, nickles have a similar tone on my machine. Just a little more oomph. I used to practice with a gold ring, just toss it in the yard and go find it. I know the books say it's a clean tone, but not always especially when on the surface. And yes, many people who find gold say it sounded just like a pull tab. To answer you question, I think lead has got that same oomph.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'd try gold jewelry to see what gold jewelry sounds like. Jason is right. I have found two gold items that hit high tone. They are 24k gold. The last one I dug, I thought for sure I had a nickel. A gold filigree earring will hit in the foil range.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what detector you are using and how well you know it. If your using a Tesoro Beep and dig, keep your discrimination below nickel and dig till you drop! If your using a multi tone detector, dig all mid tone and higher signals until you drop!

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a pop can tab and listen to the sound....that’s the sound of gold...and junk.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from a guy that has been detecting for over 40+ yrs - and has found over 1000 gold items
#1 - lead on any machine does not sound like gold (yes you may get a piece of gold that sounds like a smaller piece of lead but nothing you can bet the house on) - lead is probably the best sounding metal out there and gold is only going to sound off "real" good if its a really good size
#2 - gold is not gonna sound the same on every machine - some might be close some of the time
#3 - if you are trying to "cherry" pick the gold from spots - not gonna happen
many have tried and failed - I have hit many a spot where guys thought they got it all - only to find
smaller gold they discriminated or deeper gold they missed
I hunt in all metal most of the time and try to dig it all - if you dont dig it all or try to
you are gonna leave stuff behind
#4 I have found many gold items with or next to large junk that others have missed
it was worth it to get the junk out

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread