Research

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to see a sticky for general research on how to find treasure stories, what are good tips for talking with people you meet along the way, where and how to find old maps, books, etc.

So far the research I've done involved physically going to various archives in a region and looking for any old books on the general history and lore of an area. More often than not at least 1 will mention some buried treasure, with the likelihood of a mention increasing with the age of the book. In my experience, you'll find a variant of the same story in more than one town so it's advisable to visit as many archives as you can as it will make piecing the puzzle together a bit easier. You'll get one clue here, one clue there and so forth.

When dealing with people I've always introduced myself in plain fashion, and told them why I'm knocking on their door at which point I ask for permission to search their land. Most are very surprised and welcoming, but mind your safety either way. Always let someone else know where you're going and when you expect to be back. People typically categorize buried treasure in the same category as unicorns, so when you tell them what you're searching for they'll take the same view as if you just fell out of the sky.

Prime

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that would be a good idea to have one thread with all those resources listed. Right now, you can find most of it on this forum, but it's really spread out. Likely too that one will find that there is general research tips and info, but also one will find more specific information in each state's sub-forum.

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old topic, but I would find it very interesting to understand things that others believe are important to research when looking to reap rewards and find a more promising abundance of valuable targets vs. trash.

I live in Florida, so we have a lot of tourism. It only makes since to go where the money is, our beaches. The bigger and better the beach the better, I would presume.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like prime is searching for old treasure stories. They are out there and can be found with out leaving the house. So far over 20 books published, quite enjoyable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread