Education/ degrees/ universities

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I still think it's a good thing to have a degree or at least some sort of trade skills. Lots of trade degrees out there. I should have been a plumber for what they charge. Good luck.

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply! I totally agree with that! I was more concerned about an archaeology degree so you can be able to get into the archives to do research

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely go to college if it's an option. If your situation allows, go for a BS or BA degree. Don't look at it as a waste of time and money. It's an investment. Archaeology is becoming an established line of consulting, most of those planning development of raw ground in historic areas must get cleared by certified archaeologists. Good luck with that. That four years will be way back in your rear view mirror sooner than you think. If you can, do.

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! But any specific major and university?

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had folks tell me for 30 years, that with my skill set and experience I only needed a degree to get to the "next level". If not for the VA paying for my degree I would never have bothered. As a matter of fact, my service to our country as a veteran counted more in almost every job than nay piece of paper. a completely different path MIGHT be to see about doing archaeology or research in the military. All the branches have them, more commonly they are research archeologists or something of that nature. And the highest profile group are those that go to collect the remains of fallen soldiers from battlesites. If you can land one of those you will be way ahead as well as not having run up a 50-$70,000 college bill. But spending 2-4 years in one of the services can get you ahead of your contemporaries. Just a thought since any discussion with any recruiter has no committment and you can ask all the questions you want...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How is your mathematical skills? Perhaps, a science or engineering degree with an archaeology minor? Those majors pay well and have a great job market...just a thought. Good Luck in your Schooling.

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much o. Your suggestion! I'm not the best in math, I enjoy history a lot and learning about different cultures

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother has a masters degree in archaeology. He basically goes out "surveying" for artifacts if someone wants to build a new subdivision or industrial park. I hear he makes a decent living.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply! I totally agree with that! I was more concerned about an archaeology degree so you can be able to get into the archives to do research

Many, if not most, states have volunteer programs where you can work alongside state archaeologists. The programs are highly variable. Look into your state's archaeology department, ask some questions and find out if there are volunteer coordinators to schedule your volunteer work. In the field, expect to dig, trowel, fill and carry buckets of material to shaker tables to sift. You could photograph artifacts, record data, make drawings, etc. In the lab, you could help to clean and identify artifacts and do conservation and curation work. Volunteering might be an opportunity to find out if it is something you want to do.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 5 different degrees and diplomas beyond high school

The education which set me free was a diploma in Mechanical Drafting. A skilled trade is the best effort at success in a world of opportunities. Do you think my BS in Business Admin did anything for me except prettying up my resume?

No, that was for me, and only for ME. Made me feel good afterwards. But the drafting diploma got me into the world of mechanical construction = and that set me free.

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hace a degree in criminal Justice, studdied arabic too

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
well I can tell you that in some cases a degree is not needed to provide for yourself or family. For example, you don't need a degree to be a truck driver a CDL A, yes, but a degree no. There are skilled trades an apprenticeships that you can do without a degree. My older brother is a master pipefitter and a journeyman electrician. He has a great job with the VA.

I am the first person in my family to ever get a degree and I was able to get it because I had the GI Bill from serving in the Army 6 yrs (DeepseekerADS...my last unit was 704th MSB, Ft Carson, CO 4th Inf Div).
Anyhow, with my degrees (Drafting and Design, BSME (Mechcanical Engineering) , MSE (Aviation and Aerospace Engineering), it has opened more doors and opportunities to provide more. I could not work in my field without my degrees, like a doctor cannot practice medicine without their degrees, or a lawyer practice law without their degrees. I currently work for Boeing on the F18 Super Hornets and Super Blues (next Blue Angels) and also on the F16 conversion to drone. I love what I do and get paid very well for it and it has allowed me to pretty much do what I want as far as hobbies go, but I REALLY love what I do!!! I mean how cool is it that I get to play around some very cool aircraft!?!

I agree with Professor of Engineering and if your math skills are strong, then seek a science based degree or something science based that may compliment your Justice degree.

I have a friend that into fossil diving like me and she volunteers at the Univ. of Florida on digs and loves helping out, that may be an option for you as well wherever you live.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I could say that I have a fart in a windstorm degree because it covers a lot of areas. :laughing7:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Hello, I was curious to know is getting a degree needed our useful? Or is it a waste of time and money? If its useful, any good universities that offer programs? And specific majors I should look into? Thanks for your time!
weeeeeeeeeeell. i went to school and got a license. and look where i'm at today ? no you can t ask ? its a secret or too embarrassing i hav'nt decided yet ?

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking to get under ground... you may want to look into, Rolla School of Mining ⛏.
In Rolla, Missouri.
They have classroom time and an actual mine site.

They aren’t much good as a source for mining history, but I think they are a two year school.

If you are looking for a focused education in that field, they might be a good fit.
#/;0{>~

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rolla Missouri is a wonderful place! In the summer of 2012 I had the pleasure of teaching a Graduate Engineering Course (Engineering Design) at the Science and Technology campus. The people on campus and in town were wonderful. I remember a hide away bakery a local told me about...best Mississippi Mud Pie I ever had...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions