Wrapping your coil wire for less EMI, more Depth

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info! Thanks!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry…thank you I will re wrap the coil wire
HH

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I've always run my wire straight to the lower and middle rod junction and secured it with wire ties there, but then started a tight wrap on the middle rod immediately after the juncture. No other ties added from there to the control box. I have had no EMI issues with any of my single frequency machines. The Equinox can get testy though with bridling EMI at times. I will experiment with this method.

I have seen tectors run the wire straight up the entire shaft and then wrap the excess right below the control box. I am bound to test that first. I like my current method because it lets me quickly swap coils without extra tie wraps, but if it helps me in EMI with the NOX, it'll be worth it. I own lower rods for every coil I own for most any detector I own.

I quickly found early in my time learning the hobby, that a loose, floppy coil wire definitely creates falses in swinging. I thought it weird when I watched actual videos from reps of manufacturers exhibiting poorly wrapped cable wires.

I will definitely explore running the wire straight, further up the shafts. I am pretty sure that I tried it at least once, likely on a non multi mode unit, but not as a test plan surrounding EMI. Any and all help it may give with my two Equinox detectors will be appreciated. I detest having to run sensitivity below 15, close to ten sometimes, in some places where my single frequency machines run fine.

Thanks Terry.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuttin' new about that. The Minelab Explorer series (Etrac, Safari,etc) and the CTX 3030 run their coil wires straight up inside the shafts, no winding until the wire is close to the control unit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I was hoping for a minute it was a gag about wrapping your head with tin foil!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread