Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Florida in 1975, and stopped on the island of Plantation Key to visit Art's Museum of Sunken Treasure. To my vast disappointment, it was closed. I was heartbroken. Art was my hero, and I couldn't meet him.

As my gaze traveled around the museum, I noticed a house next door that obviously belonged to the site.

I went over and knocked on the door. To my delight, Art answered the door. When I explained that I had come from Wisconsin to see him, he went back in the house and got his keys. "Follow me", he said, and I did.

He opened up the museum and gave me a personal tour. He explained that he had been sued by someone for falling, and so had to close the museum.

I was like a kid in a candy store. Art answered my every question, although I'm sure he had done that thousands of times.

Finally, he autographed my 1964 copy of "The Treasure Divers Guide".

He would take no money.

When I got back to Wisconsin, I sent him 5 pounds of the best cheddar cheese I could find.

Salute to Art, died in 1979, but not forgotten!

Karen McKee

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by Karen McKee
Dear Sir,

I was so touched to read of your personal experience with my father. I just wanted to thank you for your post, and to say that I remember the cheese!!:happysmiley He was so pleased to receive it. With best regards, Karen McKee

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Lived in key west most of my life and found lots of different treasures ! If it weren't for Art paving the way in treasure hunting technology and especially ethics, alot of us might be sitting at home knitting a sweater!! Long live a great treasure salvor of the keys, ART MCKEE!

Karen McKee

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Wetfly, Thank you for your kind words concerning my Dad. I really admired my father for his "hand shake mentality". He told us, "your reputation can't be purchased. It must be earned". I have always felt blessed to have him for a father. With best regards, Karen McKee

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by Karen McKee
Dear Sir,

I was so touched to read of your personal experience with my father. I just wanted to thank you for your post, and to say that I remember the cheese!!:happysmiley He was so pleased to receive it. With best regards, Karen McKee

Hi Karen!

What an absolute delight to wake up, get a cup of coffee, sign in to TNet and see the post! :-)

I live for moments like this, literally.

Your dad was so nice to me. I remember that I crafted a box for the cheese out of plywood but I never heard that he got it. I often wondered about it.

I still live in Wisconsin, and have a daughter myself who I dearly love. It's a great relationship. I'm glad you had a dad like Art!

He was a great man, who touched and inspired a lot of people, great and small coming after him - including all the "greats" of Florida treasure hunting.

It was sure a privilege to meet him and I've cherished the autograph all my life.

Smiles!

Bum Luck

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Brought this thread forward to display a few photos I have scanned. I visited McKee's museum two or three times in the late 60's and early 70's. During my last visit, 1971-72, I spoke with Art about my seeking a little unknown galleon wreck in the middle-ground--somewhere between Fla. Keys and Sebastian. This led me to research and pursue a wreck at Jupiter Inlet (1977). During last visit, I took photos of Art and me with the silver bar. Unfortunately, the flash/batteries on my camera failed and the indoor photos did not develop. Does anyone have a photo of Art they can post?

mckee2b-1972.jpg

mckee1b-1972.jpg

mckee3b-1972.jpg

Went on a keys detecting trip in 1971-72 with this person who did good with the Metrotech. His name was Chuck M. We went on an everglades hunt too to Capone's old place and the nearby ghost town below Monroe Station, off the Tamiami Trail, Lost touch with him when I believe, he moved back to Virginia.

fla-keys1b-1972.jpg

Me preparing for a beach dive in 1976

diving-3c-1976.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions