sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I sit here and type this little memorial to a dear friend who departed from my life a year ago not a day goes by, that still i look for you.I sometimes think i see you out the corner of my eye when i come up the drive way or when i get out my truck i hear you barking inside.You see max my boxer came to me when i needed someone most to get me back on my feet after almost dying from a freak accident that involved a big chunk of ice falling from a building striking me ontop of the head.For many months lying in bed relearning some basic skills lost and fighting depression and wishing to die that you arrived and gave me strength to get up even though hard and each time i wanted to throw the towel in you kept pushing me.As time went by the docs said nothing else could be done and the rest was up to the good lord to see me through.I saw an ad for a metal detector always wanting one and asked the wife if it would be okay for she was scared when i went out do to severe short term memory loss and balance issues i wouldn't come back.Yes was the answer so i bought a used mxt 300mm excellent condition , guy bought for his buddy but his buddy could not go do to he was getting an divorce.So off i go with the detector around the house and along max would follow and everytime i would start to dig or even after he would jump in beside me and dig as if he were looking for the coin or relic himself.Spent a lot of time together until one day he just did not go anymore and would rather lie on the porch or than go with me to places i would detect.Max was only 6 years old when he passed away in front of me do to congestive heart failure the doctors only gave him 3 months to live after being diagnosed and he passed at the end of the 3rd month.I really fell into depression even more and the doc said to find an hobby, so i tried rc copters but after crashing and costing money i decided that wasn't for me.One day i picked the detector up and stared out the window as if max was waiting in the truck to go that i went to one of my spots and started to dig.It seemed weird at times as if someone was watching over my shoulder and i would say let this be a good find for max.Well its been a year and im still detecting and each find i say this is for max.He was the only therapy that worked during the years i was getting back on my feet and no doctor could ever do what he did for me.I still cry from time to time and he is resting comfy behind the house and i visit his grave everyday and say that one day we will meet again and i will always love you.vanzutphen

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those little critters are proof that God loves us and he put them here to be our companions.
How else do you explain the affinity that dogs have for us and us for them?
We rescued a brother and sister, Beagle-Heeler mix that we lost over the past 2 years and I still miss them.
I certainly haven't walked the difficult path you have, my Brother, but I do know how your heart was touched by your Max.
Someday when you aren't expecting it, God will bring another pet into your life. He won't be Max, but he will help fill your broken heart and help you heal even further.
God Bless and Keep Digging!

Last edited:

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an absolutely beautiful memorial to your dear Max. And what an amazing creature he was- helping you so much in your healing process, and adding his enthusiasm to your hunts for treasure... You may or may not remember the Johnny Carson Show, but there was one episode when he had James Stewart on- the famous actor. Well, ol' Jimmy Stewart was a softy, and when Johnny asked that he read a poem (which he had written on the passing of his beloved dog- which had happened years before) he did. He could barely get through it, tears welling up, throat tightening. You could see (and obviously hear) the love he had for his dog- and how much he missed him still- years later. After that, I began to do the same thing, writing a poem to each of my animal family upon their passing. Like your piece above- it helps. You get to actually say all the things you're feeling and thinking- but rarely saying out loud- to your dog/cat/what-ever.
I hope you continue to heal and recover from your devastating injury, and that one day soon, you'll open your heart to another 4-legged soul mate- to help you along, down the road. Yakker (Abbey)

OP
OP
S

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yakker I remember when you replied to the story of my dog max and said to one day open my heart for another four legged friend well it happened almost a year ago checkout my best finds if you like for I have a new story to tell and as for my health still pluggen along and thanks again for your reply.vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread